Parkland Big Bone

Frank Menser

Found this one atop a huge pile of material removed while dredging a lake in Broward County, FL. It is very heavy for its size. There is some black staining but the sun bleaches material from there with days of exposure. I have seen this with a number of shells from the same site. I beleave it to be a leg bone from a giant tortoise. Any thoughts?

post-1313-1238109188_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Found this one atop a huge pile of material removed while dredging a lake in Broward County, FL. It is very heavy for its size. There is some black staining but the sun bleaches material from there with days of exposure. I have seen this with a number of shells from the same site. I beleave it to be a leg bone from a giant tortoise. Any thoughts?

post-1313-1238109188_thumb.jpg

Looks like a calcaneum to me, can we get a few different views?

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Will get the wife to take more tomorrow. It is thiner in profile.

post-1313-1238123849_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238123777_thumb.jpg

Very interesting! We found a deer leg, the vertebrae and Mammoth (see above) and Bison teeth in the upper layers-recognisable by the high percentage of organic material (swamp muck) which ran 5-6' deep. I do not know how deep this came from as it was allready dredged and on top of a 15 ft high mound of dredged material which was white limestone and shell marl, but it definitely came from much deeper. as this was an active construction site stratification with any accuracy was not an option.

Have not IDed the vertebrae either. Note that it is concave on one end. Will post tomorrow with more pics.

Ok, here they are;

post-1313-1238158948_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238159004_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238159026_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1238159059_thumb.jpg

The bone measures just under 5"