Finding Fossils (How To Tell Where To Look?)

Mr_billy_bob

Hi guys! so I love to buy and look at fossils but I've never hunted before, so i was wondering, how do i find fossils, like how do i know where to look and what layer of rock has them and how to know what is a fossil and dig it up? thanks for the help!

If you want, check out my Paleontology Flipboard Magazine:

https://flipboard.com/@jacksoncoop2015/paleontology-90jlk5riy

THANKS FOR CHECKING IT OUT! :D

Internet searches are where I started. I would google something like "Trilobites minnesota" or whatever your hometown is. That's how I got started on fossiling. Also try to keep your ear to the ground. When peope know you are into fossils you'll be surprised the leads you get. You'll need to read, learn where the fossil layers are, and what they look like. Again, this information can be found on the internet.

Fossil clubs are also useful. I've never been a part of one but i have heard they help.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Internet searches are where I started. I would google something like "Trilobites minnesota" or whatever your hometown is. That's how I got started on fossiling. Also try to keep your ear to the ground. When peope know you are into fossils you'll be surprised the leads you get. You'll need to read, learn where the fossil layers are, and what they look like. Again, this information can be found on the internet.

Fossil clubs are also useful. I've never been a part of one but i have heard they help.

thanks!

If you want, check out my Paleontology Flipboard Magazine:

https://flipboard.com/@jacksoncoop2015/paleontology-90jlk5riy

THANKS FOR CHECKING IT OUT! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try a book like this one, it give you some sites for all around the world, hope it helps a bit

Regards

Mike

post-15295-0-96310200-1439567160_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Billy Bob, go hit my site and my blog if you are in Minnesota. The ONE book you need is Robert Sloan's book MN Fossils and Fossiliferous Rocks - $30 pp details on my site.

Also, read the Beginner's Guide to Fossil Hunting, that should answer most of your questions. I think the one on the sidebar of my blog is MN specific, plus I have most of the formation maps that you need on the blog or how to get them on the blog.

Happy Hunting! :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts: