Squalicorax Lindstromi-Wyoming-View Of 'inside'

WyomingRocks!

Hello, I found this Squalicorax recently and it looks to be perfectly preserved with none to little wear, good serrations, and you can see the interior structure of the tooth. My question is: is the structure seen in my picture truly part of the tooth design or is it part of the fossilization process? Wish it was a larger tooth, about 1/4" wide, because the roundish spots are black and the lines are orange.

Thanks for any help or comments.

WyomingRocks

post-6211-0-80570200-1438838886_thumb.jpg

post-6211-0-79826200-1438838901_thumb.jpg

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

That is a very beautiful tooth :) I like how the colour sort of appears in waves in the first picture.

Izak

Nice----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Here's a Shark Tooth Hill Squalus showing some interior structure. I'm not sure if this is a part of the tooth or maybe some boring organism did this.

post-2301-0-64307400-1438863995_thumb.jpg

I want to say it is mineral filled dentinal tubules. :zzzzscratchchin:

TNCollector, that sounds good to me!

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Very Interesting teeth and nice photos.

I'll have to look closer but I don't think I have an East coast Squalicorax with

what you or Al Dente have shown.

Thanks for posting.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Here is a Heterodontus from Sharktooth Hill that shows the same structure, I still think it is part of the fossilization process.

Tooth is 3.5 mm.

post-16416-0-50812000-1439574271_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-16371200-1439574291_thumb.jpg

Tony

Edited by ynot

Very nice tooth, when you see them like that you have to wonder what it would feel like to be bitten.

Regards

Mike

Very nice tooth, when you see them like that you have to wonder what it would feel like to be bitten.

Regards

Mike

Ha! Mike, I wonder the same thing sometimes!

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Here is a Heterodontus from Sharktooth Hill that shows the same structure, I still think it is part of the fossilization process.

Tooth is 3.5 mm.

attachicon.gifSTH vert MICRO a-0005.jpg attachicon.gifSTH vert MICRO b-0003.jpg

Tony

Tony, what frustrates me is that I lived in Bako for 3 years and never once made it to shark tooth hill. I moved from the middle of the country and had never heard of it so did not know it was there. I always wonder about what I could have found.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Tony, what frustrates me is that I lived in Bako for 3 years and never once made it to shark tooth hill. I moved from the middle of the country and had never heard of it so did not know it was there. I always wonder about what I could have found.

Well it might be frustrating or not depending on when you lived there. The quarry was private until late 2010 and became open with the death of Bob Ernst. So if you lived there before that time you woul have limited opportunity to collect.

Well it might be frustrating or not depending on when you lived there. The quarry was private until late 2010 and became open with the death of Bob Ernst. So if you lived there before that time you woul have limited opportunity to collect.

I have lived in California most of My life and this year was My first trip there. ( second and third also!) I am just grateful that it is open to digging now, even if it cost a little!!

Tony