Any Hunting Guidance For Tampa

Oh-Man

go to the beach or an old phosphate pit and look down. :)

"If you find yourself lost in the woods, build a house! This will strongly improve your perdicament."

Hey O, I when I was there many years back, we went south to Venice (Casperson Beach) and searched the beach where the waves moved the sand as they come in and out and also waded out to where you could feel gravel and "stuff" beneath your feet. Rented one of those Florida snow shovels (scoop/strainer) at the pier. Take the pile up to the beach and spread it out and pick through it. Found teeth, ray spines, gastropods, and some other stuff. However, my mom is down there now and she said they had put a bunch of big rocks on the beach. She is not able to climb over them. Probably wouldn't stop you though.

Most of the city Tampa itself is very developed and most good fossil spots would be covered with parking lots or buildings. If it were me, I would scout out parts of the causeway that connects the various parts of Tampa Bay and all that. Look for places that are narrow with water on either side. I assume that would be mostly dredged material that has now made up that entire part of the causeway. Look for public parking to park where people fish that seems to be in areas where lots and lots of shell and gravel lines the banks that was brought in from a dredge. Also look for any big mounds of gravel or shell or limestone around the causeway areas or any area that is not on private property. For Tampa I would think that the best bet would be to find the after effects of dredging.

If you feel like a drive go down to Venice Beach and snorkel :)

Most of the city Tampa itself is very developed and most good fossil spots would be covered with parking lots or buildings. If it were me, I would scout out parts of the causeway that connects the various parts of Tampa Bay and all that. Look for places that are narrow with water on either side. I assume that would be mostly dredged material that has now made up that entire part of the causeway. Look for public parking to park where people fish that seems to be in areas where lots and lots of shell and gravel lines the banks that was brought in from a dredge. Also look for any big mounds of gravel or shell or limestone around the causeway areas or any area that is not on private property. For Tampa I would think that the best bet would be to find the after effects of dredging.

If you feel like a drive go down to Venice Beach and snorkel :)

Matt,

Thanks - I'll probably have to wait on the trip to Venice until next trip.

Gives me a good excuse to dig my old mask out of the boxes in the garage.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"