Waynesboro Ms Sites

TNCollector

I have read some articles about finding shark teeth and other Oligocene fossils in the Waynesboro area of MS. I will be passing through there soon and was wondering if someone could help me find a place to go.

If you have any specific locations please PM me!

North of Tupelo maybe 30 miles is a roadside fossil park...20 mile creek in Frankstown...place is awsome. You will need a sifter and a shovel. Dig around the comcretions on the south bank...get your shovel down past the sand until you feel the crunchy stuff. Place is open to the public and free. :-)

• I found this Informative 1

I have been to Frankstown many a time..great place. The location in Waynesboro is Oligocene and should contain hemi, mako, etc. I have been around meridian before at the place called the Red Hot Truck Stop, didn't have much luck.

Thanks for the help though!

Not a lot left of the Red Hot Truck Stop site unfortunately. A Walmart was built on the site. They did accommodate collecting by the American Museum of Natural History when they dug the foundation, which resulted in the recovery of a number of Late Paleocene/Early Eocene mammals (all teeth or isolated bones).

Don

• 1 year later...