Shark Tooth?

diggetydon

Interesting piece!

Whatever it is, I'm pretty confident it's not a shark's tooth; even with the enamel worn away, the underlying structure would be different between the blade and the root.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's probably like those said above, but I got to thinkin' (and that's always dangerous), that maybe it's a tooth covered in matrix? The only way to know would be to try and prep it. I'd probably not have the patience and bring out the old sledge hammer :P

Kevin Wilson

Im thinking maybe just one of those rocks mother nature likes to present us with to remind us of our passions. Although, it could have been a drill of some type, maybe or an ornamental stone they carried. Those are my two guesses. Snakekeeper guess sounds good to, (MINUS THE SLEDGE HAMMER).

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It looks like a piece of white sandstone, but it doesn't really have the right shape to be a matrix covered tooth; its almost there, but I think its a pseudofossil.

Keep searching!

Bobby

post-1313-1238435948_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at this and it looks to me like what we sometimes see in Florida when you have something that fossilised then disintigrated and the empty space was filled with new material. So it once might have been a tooth but then things happened. Note the bone pic I placed above. The fossilised material was in the process of being destroyed while the interior had formed a calcite cast which, if left to nature, would eventually be all that was left of the fossil and looking nothing like what it replaced.

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest bmorefossil

yea not a tooth just a rock but i did read about teeth that would falll out of the matrix then the hole is refilled with mud or whatever but i dont think thats what we have here.

Oh, I know what it is now! Its a Native American man poker ;) . The native girls would carry this around with them and when the boys got to fresh they'd give them a good poke in the ribs ( or other parts of the body) to remind them to mind there manners. Kinda of what we modern girls use mace and taser guns for. Yup, that sounds perfectly plausible to me, that must be what it is. :D

No..... don't thank me, it was my pleasure!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Oh, I know what it is now! Its a Native American man poker ;) . The native girls would carry this around with them and when the boys got to fresh they'd give them a good poke in the ribs ( or other parts of the body) to remind them to mind there manners. Kinda of what we modern girls use mace and taser guns for. Yup, that sounds perfectly plausible to me, that must be what it is. :D

No..... don't thank me, it was my pleasure!

Little early to be hittin' the sauce, don't ya think?

Little early to be hittin' the sauce, don't ya think?

:P :P :P :P

Alfred North Whithead

...Its a Native American man poker ;) . The native girls would carry this around with them and when the boys got to fresh they'd give them a good poke in the ribs ( or other parts of the body) to remind them to mind there manners. Kinda of what we modern girls use mace and taser guns for...

So much for my "Cupid's Arrowhead" theory...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!