First Hunt Of The Season

Northern Sharks

The recent warm weather around here was too much of an invitation to me, so last weekend, I had to make a short trip to the collecting grounds. The quarry I was at most last year has changed their policy, so collecting is now very limited. They won't be blasting there until early May anyway, so I decided to check another pit about 5 minutes away. I'd never had much luck there in the past as their blasts go almost immediatly to the crusher, but I had to look anyway. This quarry is all Verulam Formation and it started out looking like I'd just end up with a lot of brachs. The first non-brach I came accross was the largest Prasopora grandis bryozoan I'd seen yet. After more walking and more brachs, I came to a spot littered with these small brachs. Great practice pieces for when I get a blaster, and some have Flexicalymene cephalons & pygidiums mixed in. As I was gathering those, I noticed a larger piece with several ball-shaped bryozoans. I picked that piece up and then noticed the 4 Cyptogoleus chapmani edrioasteroids on the plate as well (weathered, but my first of that species). I figured that would be the highlight of my day, but not 5 minutes and 20 feet later, my gem, a Ceraurus trilobite that I'm really hoping preps up nicely. The only find of any signifigance after that was a nice Lambeophyllum profundum horn coral as I was leaving. Corals are not common at the site, and this one has a neat little curl at the tip. Enough blabber, here are some pics. Any brach ID's are appreciated

1) Brachiopod

2) Another brach (Rafinesquina?)

3) Prasopora grandis

4) Dozens of small brachs with Flexicalymene cephalon

5) Cryptogoleus/bryozoan plate

6) Close-up of Cryptogoleus

7) Ceraurus- is it globulatus, globulobatus or something else? I've seen both used, while sites like zipcodezoo and the Paleobiology database don't recognize either

8) Lambeophyllum profundum

9) A mystery. Is this a brach or part of a trilobite? I found a similar one last year. There's a small flare at both sides, but no ridges as typical on the other brachs I've seen

10) Another view of the mystery piece

post-77-1238261616_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261633_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261657_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261675_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261702_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261721_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261742_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261760_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261783_thumb.jpg

post-77-1238261798_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That not bad for the first trip out of the year

Nice finds

So your weather there is good

We had more snow here last night. <_<

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice stuff! IDK, but that last one looks like a brach, but if so, it is one that I'm not familiar with.

Just like that? You go out on a nice day and find all that cool stuff?

That's terrific NS!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds for the first trip of the year!!

The ceraurus seems to be great and it probably gas the spines in the pigidium. With respect the last piece it is interesting, in some way it remembers me the cephalon of illaenus but it is difficult to say.

Auspex: That (and more similar pieces) is the result of about 4 hrs at the quarry

Grampa: There was still some snow & ice at the quarry, but the days have all been above freezing with some getting into double digits. The worst part is the wind

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Cool stuff. That trilobite should prep out very well.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Hey cool finds! Your braver than me going out in the cold like that.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Northern Sharks:

The mystery fossil in photos 9 and 10 is the cephalon of an illaenid trilobite, specifically Thaleops, found in the Middle and Late Ordovician of the United States. The cephala and pygidia are frequently found in the Pooleville member of the Bromide Formation (Blackriveran), Middle Ordovician of the Arbuckle Mountains of southern Oklahoma. Do an internet search for Thaleops to view more complete specimens. Attached is a photograph of a specimen from the Pooleville member.

Regards,

Mike

post-153-1238275017_thumb.jpg

The recent warm weather around here was too much of an invitation to me, so last weekend, I had to make a short trip to the collecting grounds. The quarry I was at most last year has changed their policy, so collecting is now very limited. They won't be blasting there until early May anyway, so I decided to check another pit about 5 minutes away. I'd never had much luck there in the past as their blasts go almost immediatly to the crusher, but I had to look anyway. This quarry is all Verulam Formation and it started out looking like I'd just end up with a lot of brachs. The first non-brach I came accross was the largest Prasopora grandis bryozoan I'd seen yet. After more walking and more brachs, I came to a spot littered with these small brachs. Great practice pieces for when I get a blaster, and some have Flexicalymene cephalons & pygidiums mixed in. As I was gathering those, I noticed a larger piece with several ball-shaped bryozoans. I picked that piece up and then noticed the 4 Cyptogoleus chapmani edrioasteroids on the plate as well (weathered, but my first of that species). I figured that would be the highlight of my day, but not 5 minutes and 20 feet later, my gem, a Ceraurus trilobite that I'm really hoping preps up nicely. The only find of any signifigance after that was a nice Lambeophyllum profundum horn coral as I was leaving. Corals are not common at the site, and this one has a neat little curl at the tip. Enough blabber, here are some pics. Any brach ID's are appreciated

1) Brachiopod

2) Another brach (Rafinesquina?)

3) Prasopora grandis

4) Dozens of small brachs with Flexicalymene cephalon

5) Cryptogoleus/bryozoan plate

6) Close-up of Cryptogoleus

7) Ceraurus- is it globulatus, globulobatus or something else? I've seen both used, while sites like zipcodezoo and the Paleobiology database don't recognize either

8) Lambeophyllum profundum

9) A mystery. Is this a brach or part of a trilobite? I found a similar one last year. There's a small flare at both sides, but no ridges as typical on the other brachs I've seen

10) Another view of the mystery piece

1. Brachiopod - Resserella whittakeri

2. correct

3. bryozoan - correct

4. brachiopods - Zygospira recurvirostris

5. Edrios - Isorophusella incondita.

6. same as 5

7. Ceraurus - ID will be easier once it is cleaned.

8. your guess is as good as mine

9/10. trilobites parts

Looks like you had a good day. I will be up once the weather gets a bit better and I have more free time.

crinus