Fossil Localities...

Jarrettharp

So over the years in numerous different articles I have read that fossil sites get a locality number...is there such thing as being able to look up those fossil localities?...1 article I read says that there were 31 shark tooth localities around me...I know of maybe 6--10 localities...the other question I have is---do these localities get noted only if the matrix is rich?..or whenever they find anything?...any clarification will help...thanks

Try this website.

Keep in mind, the info is very old, and may no longer be accurate.

The site locality #'s are usually taken from paleontologists field notes, or published papers.

As far as I know, there is no easily accessible way to find the numbers.

Maybe check at your local museum?

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ya I have tried referencing that site before...unfortunately it doesn't give an actual location in my city..just a vicinity...and guess I'll have to round me up some paleontologist from around here..and bribe them......thanks for your input brother..

Ya I have tried referencing that site before...unfortunately it doesn't give an actual location in my city..just a vicinity...and guess I'll have to round me up some paleontologist from around here..and bribe them......thanks for your input brother..

Depending on what you are looking for (you say you're looking for shark teeth ) I would do a google search for Orange County Shark teeth PDF.

Read every PDF you can get your hands on. If you can't access them (paid Subscription) check with your local library and see if they have access to the site.

You can also ask here for papers, or check out the various PDF Library threads here.

Research the formation names listed in the website. That may help bring out more PDFs. Also, check the papers that are referenced in the back of the PDFs you read. Lots of good info, if you can handle the reading.

Unfortunately, even with locality sites described, you will probably have to hoof it a bit, to find the old localities. Use Google earth to aid in narrowing down possible access points, and possible sites.

Nix the ones that have been built over, then get out there and pickt 'em up, and put 'em down.

Good luck. ;)

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What you just said...is exactly to the T what I've been doing...lol...don't get me wrong I've got spots that are still giving me stuff..I just wondered how the locality thing worked...wondered if there was a "sacred" list out there..haha.thanks again

Mostly those locality numbers are a museum's numbers. Museums give locality numbers to any site they collect any fossil from (in a perfect world). You wopuild have to read the museumn's files to get detailed info, and that info is not regularly given away...matter of fact, it is held onto tightly, and even considered proprietarty info. Yes, public museums DO NOT have to disclose locaitly info to the public.

Well if you're willing to travel a bit, there's fossiel.net. A Dutch fossil website. It has a section where fossil locations are listed from all over the world. It also has over 200 locations listed from the USA.

Here's a link.

http://english.fossiel.net/sites/all_sites_overview.php

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite