Hunting The Mailbox!

RJB

It took me weeks, but I finally received my box of concretions from New Zealand! Talk about excited! I was in the middle of watching a movie late yesterday afternoon when the dam dog started barking. I put a stop to that! But it was the maillady bringing a heavy box to the door. I new instantly what it was. I opened it while the movie was playing but it didnt take long for me to get out into the garage and switch the compressor on. It did take over an hour to figure out what was ventral/dorsal, (airscribe the front of the rock to expose a claw and see how its situated), then I felt very satisfied and went inside to have dinner. I woke up just after 3:00 am and had to get up! I couldnt stop thinking about this crab. After some coffee and a brief stint on the computer I was back out in the garage!!! Worked for 10 freakin hours!! My hand is sore, my neck is sore, but this crab is so far turning out super good!!! Here is a pic of the other 5 concretions I got and one of the crab after 9 hours of prep! This one is tuff, but Im having so much fun, and its soooooooo exciting to have both claws intact and it looks like all 8 legs are in good order!!! Im on cloud 9!!!! WoooooooooooHooooooooooooo!!!!!

RB

Oh, it looks like snarge now, and its one of those crabs thats covered in calcite, but once its done, this little baby is gunna be super sweeeeet!!!

Your comment about it being "super sweet" brought a strange idea to my mind:

Put a Gummy Crab on a stick and embed it in hard candy (like a Tootsie-Roll Pop). Then, you could "prep" it by sucking on the pop (all the while resisting the urge to bite it)!

(It's been a long, slow day with too much coffee...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your comment about it being "super sweet" brought a strange idea to my mind:

Put a Gummy Crab on a stick and embed it in hard candy (like a Tootsie-Roll Pop). Then, you could "prep" it by sucking on the pop (all the while resisting the urge to bite it)!

(It's been a long, slow day with too much coffee...)

Dont feel bad Auspex. Its been a very long day for me too, except my coffee is wiskey and I just posted an echinoid from NZ for sale on another post, and then quickly did a google search on it to compair it to others only to find that I can find any others!!! The headache begins!

RB

That's great!

and..

I get to be a noob here again!

How do you know the remaining concretions have crabs inside? :/

Turok1copy.png

That's great!

and..

I get to be a noob here again!

How do you know the remaining concretions have crabs inside? :/

Hey fossilkid. I could say that im just super smart and just know, or I could say that im a rare human with rare abilities with x-ray vision, but really its very simple. Being that concretions from this formation are known for their crabs, some concs show that there is a crab inside just by the shape of the rock, and most times, the legs go to the outside edges of the rock showing little circular shapes. The circular shapes proving that a crab is inside, but there is no telling what quality or shape the crab will be in. Buying crab concretions, or any type of concretions for that matter is always a crabshoot. I meant crapshoot!! HA!!!

RB

Ok, ive got 16 hours into this little fella so far. A lot tuffer than I thought it would be. This calcite is some real nasty stuff!!! It looks real good now except for the damed calcite everywhere. Im going to town tomorrow morning and get me some muratic acid. Good ole MB gave me a tip to try, so by golly im a gunna try it. Im also going to put on my extended housing with 3 inch tip onto my airscribe and do a super duper 3-D number on this little baby before I try to destroy it with my new acid trick?!!! But SON OF A GUN and HOLY COW!!! (id like to use some real cuss words but...) this is turning out super nice!!! Now im on cloud 10! WoooooooHoooooooooo!!!!!!!

Im guessing about 5 more hours with 5 more steps to complete and I should have this piece of snarge done!!! Ha!!!

RB

Hey fossilkid. I could say that im just super smart and just know, or I could say that im a rare human with rare abilities with x-ray vision, but really its very simple. Being that concretions from this formation are known for their crabs, some concs show that there is a crab inside just by the shape of the rock, and most times, the legs go to the outside edges of the rock showing little circular shapes. The circular shapes proving that a crab is inside, but there is no telling what quality or shape the crab will be in. Buying crab concretions, or any type of concretions for that matter is always a crabshoot. I meant crapshoot!! HA!!!

RB

It was so evident and yet so simplistically difficult.

I need some sleep. Glad it's spring break.

Turok1copy.png

It was so evident and yet so simplistically difficult.

I need some sleep. Glad it's spring break.

Get yourself some sleep fella, and do yourself a favor and dont buy any concretions, just dream of them, a hell of alot easier that way! its too late for me. I wil suffer the consiquinces and prep my life away!!!

RB

When mild-mannered Dr. Prepper (aka RB) gets a promising new concretion, he becomes THE NODULATOR, and he doesn't - ever - stop! (Though sometimes he sees things...)

post-423-1238379014_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Rjb,

I am drooling. Those look like some really nice concretions you got there.

Ive got a morbid sence of satisfaction now that your druling. My revenge for you posting so much crab stuff.

RB

When mild-mannered Dr. Prepper (aka RB) gets a promising new concretion, he becomes THE NODULATOR, and he doesn't - ever - stop! (Though sometimes he sees things...)

I like that auspex. I do see things too. Im my dreams. I seem to have a re accuring dream where I am finding gobs of crab concretions, and apon close inspection of one of them, I realize the crab in the rock is still ALIVE!!! then I wake up.

RB

...I seem to have a re accuring dream where I am finding gobs of crab concretions, and apon close inspection of one of them, I realize the crab in the rock is still ALIVE!!! then I wake up.

RB

In that case, this might not help you sleep any better: :o

post-423-1238419664_thumb.jpg

In that case, this might not help you sleep any better: :o

"Ripley, I'm scared..."

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"