Need Help With Id

Rsmull

post-1344-1238279906_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1238279530_thumb.jpgpost-1344-1238279923_thumb.jpg

Recently, while walking around in a open pit mine in Maysville, NC, found this. Looks like it might be a fish tooth?

Recently, while walking around in a open pit mine in Maysville, NC, found this. Looks like it might be a fish tooth?

I don't have the foggiest of ideas what that is.

If you don't mind, let me give you a tip on photography of fossils. To avoid over- or under-exposed images, use a neutral background such as gray, green, light blue, etc. Avoid using extremely bright shades (such as white) or extremely dark shades (like black). I tend to use a neutral colored towel or old shirt as background for fossil images to avoid having the flash reflect from the surface.

I'm sure someone here can help in determining your fossil.

First thing I thought of was a small part of a Drum Fish mouth plate, without teeth.

post-680-1238286512_thumb.jpg

OK, thats what it looks like. Thanks!

yes, no, well maybe. dunno. better pic might help, but half of my fossils choose to remain nameless.

I don't have the foggiest of ideas what that is.

If you don't mind, let me give you a tip on photography of fossils. To avoid over- or under-exposed images, use a neutral background such as gray, green, light blue, etc. Avoid using extremely bright shades (such as white) or extremely dark shades (like black). I tend to use a neutral colored towel or old shirt as background for fossil images to avoid having the flash reflect from the surface.

I'm sure someone here can help in determining your fossil.

Thanks, I'm new to this and will try other backgrounds.

Yeah I wouldn't jump into the drumfish garage band yet, make sure no one influenced their sound first ;)

Interpretation: I don't think it's a drumfish tooth. Another picture with a quarter or ruler for scale would help :)

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

Thanks, I'm new to this and will try other backgrounds.

Take the time to read THIS THREAD. It will provide some help in making effective images for posting here. The better your images, the more information you'll get in response.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi, Rsmull. I thought that mine was closed to the public years ago. Did they reopen?

First thing I thought of was a small part of a Drum Fish mouth plate, without teeth.

post-680-1238286512_thumb.jpg

looks like a croc scute to me