Some Rocks In My Collection--- Not Fossils

ynot

The mineral society that I belong to hosted the California Federation of Mineral Societies annual show 2 weeks ago. I have wanted to enter displays into the competition at one of these shows for many years. I finely got the chance, so I entered two into the masters class. One is "self collected one location" and the other is "specialty minerals".

DSCF4965.JPGDSCF4966.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

23 hours ago, digit said:

Superb display, Tony!

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Was hopping for more interest.

Here is the results of the competition....

Display 1) Minerals from the Maidens hair ledge mine (My claim)

0020charlton.jpg

Display 2) .Minerals from El Dorado county-- self collected.

0021charlton.jpg+1.jpg

This was My first foray into the competition displays and I am surprised by the results.

Thanks for looking.

Tony

Sorry I missed out on this Tony. 2 firsts! Wow! Congratulations! That was well deserved, judging by the good quality of your displays.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry I missed out on this Tony. 2 firsts! Wow! Congratulations! That was well deserved, judging by the good quality of your displays.

Thanks Roger.

Tony

Congrats on the wins!  I am not too familar with minerals but the self collected Maiden Hair ledge mine crystals are awesome!  I followed your post when you found a whole bunch of those crystals.  Good job!!!!

7 minutes ago, CBOB said:

Congrats on the wins!  I am not too familar with minerals but the self collected Maiden Hair ledge mine crystals are awesome!  I followed your post when you found a whole bunch of those crystals.  Good job!!!!

Thanks CBOB!

I need to get back to that thread and post pictures of the individual crystals.

Tony

Blue ribbon displays, fer sure. Very impressive, Tony. How did you attach the small specimens to the posts (pins?) in the display? How are the posts anchored to the base? I'm just curious. They add a lot to the overall attractiveness of your display, along with your wonderful finds, of course. 

Well-done-banner-50.gif

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Blue ribbon displays, fer sure. Very impressive, Tony. How did you attach the small specimens to the posts (pins?) in the display? How are the posts anchored to the base? I'm just curious. They add a lot to the overall attractiveness of your display, along with your wonderful finds, of course. 

Well-done-banner-50.gif

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I used finish nails (painted white) for the posts and used white glue (water soluble) to attach them. The base of the display is a piece of styrofoam insulation covered with a  sheet. The nail is pushed into the styrofoam to hold the crystal erect. Some of the larger pieces have a large gauge copper wire bent into a stand 

I used a piece of door weather strip, cut into 1 inch pieces, for the label stands.

Tony

Those displays look great! I wish I knew more about rocks & minerals. I have found it more difficult to grasp/identify than fossils. Thanks for posting :) 

23 minutes ago, Jonelle said:

Those displays look great! I wish I knew more about rocks & minerals. I have found it more difficult to grasp/identify than fossils. Thanks for posting :) 

Thanks Jonelle,

There are millions of species of fossils but only 5000 described minerals/crystals. Keep at it and You will get better at both.

Tony

PS If You really have trouble "grasping" rocks-- try smaller rocks or good gloves!:rofl:

Congratulations! :crab:

Have you tried Blu-Tack for sticking your small minerals to the posts? I find it more convenient to use as it is solid which doesn't need to be absorbed and dried, and a stronger adhesive especially when you have limited space to stick. I have used it to put up a large, unframed painting on the wall, no need for nails or anything else. When I use display boxes that are loose, I just need to put a little bit of Blu-Tack on the corners between the cover and the bottom plate, and it will stick very well, no need to worry about the box falling apart and dropping the fossils when I pick up the box. When you are done with it, you just need to pull it off. If there is a little bit stuck in a crack, you can press it with a bigger piece and it will come right off. I see that it is not popular in the US, but you can find it online (at that retailer named after a rainforest, for example).

23 minutes ago, sdsnl said:

Have you tried Blu-Tack for sticking your small minerals to the posts?

I have not used this, but know of people who do. It tends to get soft when heated (the lights in the display cases generate a lot of heat) and if the piece is off balance it will fall over time. (a slow motion crash.) The white glue is easily removed with a short soak in water, and is a rigged hold.

32 minutes ago, sdsnl said:

Congratulations! :crab:

Thanks!

Tony

21 minutes ago, ynot said:

I have not used this, but know of people who do. It tends to get soft when heated (the lights in the display cases generate a lot of heat) and if the piece is off balance it will fall over time. (a slow motion crash.) The white glue is easily removed with a short soak in water, and is a rigged hold.

Thanks!

Tony

I see! Did not know about the heat.

Those display cases are very well done, Tony! Great job!:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 minute ago, darctooth said:

Those display cases are very well done, Tony! Great job!:dinothumb:

Thank You!

Tony

Always great to see your minerals !! Congratulations ! :wub::envy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

6 hours ago, belemniten said:

Always great to see your minerals !! Congratulations ! :wub::envy:

Thanks!

Tony

• 5 months later...

well since we are posting some of our "finds" of the Rock and Mineral world I thought I'd show a piece or three of mine.

These are my favs.

Fluorite on Sphalerite from non other than the Elmwood mine TN.

(there is some Barite on the left sample)

IMG_0407.JPG

Here is my other fav.

Mexican Fire Opal in sandstone.

IMG_0103.JPG

Nice! Some great colors there.

Cheers.

-Ken

• 4 months later...

Hello Y'all,

Anyone want to see more here?

Tony

Indeed! Open the flood gates and let the images flow....

Cheers.

-Ken