Some Rocks In My Collection--- Not Fossils

ynot

Here is a smoky quartz from My second favorite quartz location.

DSCF5455.thumb.JPG.bfbba867ab0fcfe10df1aa31d3919954.JPGDSCF5457.thumb.JPG.31477d898e2635a6e4878af7e7b4424d.JPGDSCF5458.thumb.JPG.e7bb97e5b9c2182212e932138b527c1f.JPG

It looks darker than it is. Also it is very clear with the color of root beer when backlit.

11 hours ago, doushantuo said:

latest bunch again interesting.

Keep it up!

Thank You!

Here are a couple more from Big X mountain, a location for some excellent smoky quartz.

crystals.

DSCF5463.thumb.JPG.e9e10e0ef936e7d84ebf02ce39c0c027.JPGDSCF5465.thumb.JPG.2c9e9d79c6455d9569d7d74475aa5706.JPGDSCF5466.thumb.JPG.8a87c5ed579db3f405c3516a581016d6.JPG

And one of the largest crystals from there.

DSCF5467.thumb.JPG.1bedd2cc6d1f6d7f26855c7fe24753f8.JPGDSCF5468.thumb.JPG.13c88c21f7cd6a4a914a08ae456eb48f.JPGDSCF5469.thumb.JPG.2859a5a2dd02a20805643dd703868b93.JPG

I took a few trips to Topaz Mountain in Utah.

Here is the best crystal I found there.

DSCF5483.JPG.eb0dfde5fc3fe709a49c849faa748fc0.JPGDSCF5484.JPG.5df7fb108ce14ad66cbace828f82e7a8.JPG

This is a neat little crystal that was found on the moutain where My claim is, but was not on the claim.

It has a secondary growth of smaller quartz crystals on it. (Often called cactus quartz). It is the only cactus quartz found in the area so far.

The red color is caused by iron staining.

DSCF5472.thumb.JPG.3f1e89cded48ce07d699f815d8f1389e.JPGDSCF5470.thumb.JPG.79326bbcebc8daefcda613c2012c225b.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Dendritic manganese in agate from Luna New Mexico. Approximately 1 inch field of view.

Just in case anyone wanted to know what the last piece is.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2015 at 7:02 AM, ynot said:

Thank You Jeff,

Can You post some pictures of the Gypsum crystals?

Here are some more things from My collection...

Quartz crystal with chlorite phantom

1 inch long...

post-16416-0-90784300-1441111611_thumb.jpg

Rose Quartz crystal with secondary growth (cactus quartz)

2.25 inches long...

post-16416-0-21627600-1441111823_thumb.jpg

Brookite crystal

5/8 inch tall...

post-16416-0-71724500-1441111928_thumb.jpg

Anatase crystal

1/4 inch long...

post-16416-0-43447100-1441112382_thumb.jpg

Vesuvianite crystal

1/2 inch long...

post-16416-0-04273500-1441111952_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Tony

Very cool 

• I found this Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Malone said:

Very cool 

Thank You.

• 3 months later...

I'm amazed how you have found so many crystals in your area! Nothing like that here in lower Michigan! 

1 hour ago, Kathi said:

I'm amazed how you have found so many crystals in your area! Nothing like that here in lower Michigan! 

Just have to take what the geology of the area gives, some have good fossils and some have good crystals. I am in a good crystal area, but have to travel many miles to get good fossils.

Fortunatily I like both, so do a lot of crystal hunting around here and look for fossils when I travel. (sometimes I travel just to look for fossils.)

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

sometimes I travel just to look for fossils.

If that was the title for a book, I'd buy it. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

6 minutes ago, digit said:

If that was the title for a book, I'd buy it. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

A new spy novel! (coming soon to a theater near You!):hearty-laugh:

On 25/10/2017 at 6:16 AM, ynot said:

It is the type locality for a mineral called rutile TiO2.

Graves Mt. is one of the best localities for rutile and lazulite crystals  in the world (I have 3 rutile specimens from there and other 3 of lazulite xls I believe) but I suppose type locality  for rutile is Horcajuelo de la Sierra in Spain.

Regards,

Ricardo

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

type locality  for rutile is Horcajuelo de la Sierra in Spain.

Regards,

Ricardo

Just going on what I was told. by the mines caretaker. Guess I should have known better.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Just going on what I was told. by the mines caretaker. Guess I should have known better.

In California you have also excellent rutile crystals ;) 

Wow just looked though your rock collection it is really stunning thank you. .  :wub:

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

In California you have also excellent rutile crystals ;) 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow just looked though your rock collection it is really stunning thank you. .  :wub:

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tony, just stumbled upon your collection--I should explore this site more..usually I'm just looking at trips and ID questions. Nice stuff man!

So you are still in NorCa,l didnt realize you were out there. Spent quite a long time out there and didnt get into the mineral stuff much to my dismay. Left most of the stuff I did have when we left the state. Some of the stuff was just dumb rock samples but I still thought they were cool! 

I think my favorite is your ugly agate--catchy name and interesting. Calcite does intrigue me for some reason...

I have a couple photo stacking programs and I havent been able to replicate what I can see thru magnification...its frustrating on the smaller stuff. I need a good camera!

Well, its my day off so Ive got to go do some chores and get busy as I'm slacking this a.m.

Enjoyed seeing your material! 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Enjoyed seeing your material! 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Thanks Chris.

Your thread made me think and go scrounge in the garage again looking to see what I still might have mineral wise.

It sounds like you are over in the foothills...by any chance have you wandered over east of the valley into Mendocino and that area? We passed thru on a day of volcanic/metamorphic stops years and years ago to the Pine Hill Intrusive Complex. I always wanted to go back and poke around as there were some really neat geology going on there but never did. There were some cinnabar mines in Napa county that I had some stuff from...granted mercury wasnt anything you want to play with but I did as a kid and thats another story but I had some stuff...

Anyways, I collected a small hand sample from a pegmatite dike there in Mendocino back in the 70's and still have the little turkey...Was always intrigued with the dark green color and the crystal faces...Lots of hornblende with streaks of feldspar, quartz and some biotite that is starting to break down. Here's an old photo...

5b2e3dd2b0c60_PegmatitemineralsMendocinocounty.jpg.d9c3dfced3752705767983f8f093a4b6.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

It sounds like you are over in the foothills...by any chance have you wandered over east of the valley into Mendocino and that area? 

I live near Placerville east of Sacramento. Most of My hunting has been in El Dorado and Placer counties.

I have done a minute amount of hunting in the Napa / Calistoga areas, but never found any good stuff there. (Did find a little cinnabar, but it was just a red dust on a big rock.) Never hunted in Mendocino.

Nice example of a pegmatite.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

I live near Placerville east of Sacramento. Most of My hunting has been in El Dorado and Placer counties.

I have done a minute amount of hunting in the Napa / Calistoga areas, but never found any good stuff there. (Did find a little cinnabar, but it was just a red dust on a big rock.) Never hunted in Mendocino.

Nice example of a pegmatite.

Thanks. got my directions goofed up..getting old..meant west but I sure didnt type that did I.....we used to visit folks in Pollock Pines and did some snooping around the Melones fault zone and some of those rocks.  Geology professor was hell bent on finding some fossils that might date some of the stuff we were looking at. No fossils found--no ammonites or anything else. Seem to remember lots of chewed up lightly metamorphosed rocks/no fossils and rusty rinds on rocks from there...

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

No fossils found--no ammonites or anything else. Seem to remember lots of chewed up lightly metamorphosed rocks/no fossils and rusty rinds on rocks from there...

That about sums it up for My area.

There is a limestone (marble) quarry near Me where I found 1 ammonite, but I gave it to the company geologist when She gave a talk at My rock club. Before that She had never seen or heard of a fossil from the formation.