Hunting The Shadows Of A Storm: Lee Creek Finds!

Phoenixflood

<EDIT> Duplicate posts merged/deleted

post-671-1238444884_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444908_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444927_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444942_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444958_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444971_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444983_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238444995_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238445012_thumb.jpg

post-671-1238445024_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

All week long I had been looking at the weather forcast and hoping that they would not be rain the morning of the 28th. This was the day I was scheduled to go into Lee Creek. I was excited because I had found a 4 1/2 inch Meg last year and was anxious to get back in to see what else I could find. Well after 6 hours of driving and rain beating on my windshield I pulled into my hotel to turn on the TV to find a tornado was in Pitt county ripping up things just a few miles away. I went to sleep with a slight hope of the clouds parting and praying that they would hold off until I got out of there.

I woke up to find the clouds were dark but moving out. But still, they hung in the air over us blocking the light until we got to the parking lot. We crossed or fingers and waited for the word from the Guides that were surveying. The clouds let in a little light and news came that they were going to allow us to go in! I was so exicted!

Clouds hung in the air all day as mud clung to my boots and weighed my feet down. I felt like I was a part of the earth slowly becoming part of it. But hill after hill, I seemed to extend my energy in desparte hope of the big find. Nature let me walk away with a few gifts, nothing extreme. I had to stop and think that the biggest gift was actually being there, even if the earth failed to give up it's treasures.

I found more pleasure in the time after I was in the mine conversing with fellow fossil hunters and collectors. I think I got more out of the conversation and the trading then I did from the mine. I know that I got better teeth from trading but did manage to find a broken squalodon tooth, a broken 2 1/2 meg, 2 great white teeth (on with root) and a croc tooth in the mine. I guess every tooth is a treasure, sometimes I don't stop to think about that.

Thanks to all for talking and trading with me. I had a great time talking with all of you at the Golden Corral. I am sorry your trip on the 29th was cut short. The nature of Nature gives and takes away. I look forward to hunting with some of you in the future.

If it makes you feel any better I had no luck at GMR although my girlfriend did find a perfect great white and I found a bit of broken teeth. The river was just moving to fast to do any real digging.

So here are some in situ pictures and the rest of my finds.

The teeth that are second to last are from trades I had while I was down there.

I know your excited about what you found but how did you manage to post it 4 times? :o I think you need to go back to bed and rest some more. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I know your excited about what you found but how did you manage to post it 4 times? :o I think you need to go back to bed and rest some more. :D

I have no clue, all I kow is I was editing a lot :D

Congratulations on your finds and the ability to get into the mine in spite of the weather. I remember "the good old days" when we used to pray FOR rain (as much as possible). They'd never cancel a trip under any circumstances and the more rain, the better the erosion.

One time three of my friends and I had just combed a hill in the mine about as well as anyone could do. A squall came through and the rain was coming down so hard that the drops were splashing knee-high. The four of us hunkered down with our rain ponchos on, standing facing each other sort of bent over like a group of football players in a huddle. After fifteen minutes, the hard rain ended. We went right back over the exact same territory on the same hill that we had previously collected. Between us, the second time (only a few minutes with lots of rain later) we collectively found three megs and five makos!

Ah yes, the good old days...no guides, no rules...

Guest N.AL.hunter
Congratulations on your finds and the ability to get into the mine in spite of the weather. I remember "the good old days" when we used to pray FOR rain (as much as possible). They'd never cancel a trip under any circumstances and the more rain, the better the erosion.

One time three of my friends and I had just combed a hill in the mine about as well as anyone could do. A squall came through and the rain was coming down so hard that the drops were splashing knee-high. The four of us hunkered down with our rain ponchos on, standing facing each other sort of bent over like a group of football players in a huddle. After fifteen minutes, the hard rain ended. We went right back over the exact same territory on the same hill that we had previously collected. Between us, the second time (only a few minutes with lots of rain later) we collectively found three megs and five makos!

Ah yes, the good old days...no guides, no rules...

Stop, your making me cry!! Wish I could have been there in those good old days. Saddest thing is that I could have easily traveled there, just didn't know about it.

Here are some more pictures that were on my girlfriend's camera. The first picture is the great white she found at GMR.

I love the picts of all your finds. You did good! I think the tooth your girlfriend found is the best though. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I love the picts of all your finds. You did good! I think the tooth your girlfriend found is the best though. :D

Yeah, she did well at GMR but not so hot in lee creek. It is a good tooth though!

That place is huge! Bmores right, you do look like Chef Duff from Ace of Cakes :D .

Alfred North Whithead

That place is huge! Bmores right, you do look like Chef Duff from Ace of Cakes :D .

I would say I look more like him in this picture when my head was actually shaved :D

post-671-1238468588_thumb.jpg

I went Sunday, and if it were up to me we would have stayed in the rain. Once you get a little wet its all the same. A few good things about the rain is, like you said, it uncovers more fossils while you're there. Another thing is the rain that drips off your hard hat serves as a fresh moving water source for any dirty fossils you find. ^_^

I went Sunday, and if it were up to me we would have stayed in the rain. Once you get a little wet its all the same. A few good things about the rain is, like you said, it uncovers more fossils while you're there. Another thing is the rain that drips off your hard hat serves as a fresh moving water source for any dirty fossils you find. ^_^

That is true :D

Great Post and Nice Finds !!!!!! I hope I get to go soon !!!!!

Yeah, it's a great place! :D

Thank you for the great post and pics. The shots of the mine are great. Gives poeple like me a visual after hearing so many reports from there. Looks like a big place. Would you know where to start if there were no guides?

Pentax Optio W60

Thank you for the great post and pics. The shots of the mine are great. Gives poeple like me a visual after hearing so many reports from there. Looks like a big place. Would you know where to start if there were no guides?

Oh, no problem :D

Yes, it just take luck and knowing you're layers. It's best to check out the museum first before you go to see what types of fossils are in what layers. Whale bone is always a good sign you are in yorktown, look for blueish-grey clay. Ecphora tricosta is a good sign you are in Pungo, look for more tanish brown.

If you need a guide, I am sure they would be more than willing to help you out.