Fossil Sites? Any Suggestions Appreciated!

diabeticwolf

Hello,

I am from Omaha, Nebraska. I have gone fossil hunting with Roger Pabian (family member) once before, and I went with my college last year to a rock quarry in Crescent, Iowa. I am wanting to go fossil hunting more often, simply because I enjoy it. But, I don't know where to go. Google searches have not helped, and any answers I have found were very vague.

I would go with my dad, so he could drive. But he will not drive anywhere unless he is given a specific location to go fossil hunting. Niobrara is too far, as far as he's concerned. I visited Schramm Park, but you're really not supposed o collect fossils there.

Any locations within 3 hours of Omaha?? Iowa or Nebraska?? If I don't get any locations, I may have to give up fossil hunting as a hobby (that I'd like to pursue), and sell my rock hammer (which I have threatened to do, but my mom won't let me).

*I don't need addresses, just locations that are producing fossils.

Are there any type of fossils you're looking for?

Pretty much anything but brachiopods (I have a ton of them). I'm especially interested in fish, Listracanthus/sharks, teeth, or plants.

Hi and welcome to TFF from Minnesota. There is a pinned post "Beginners Guide to Fossil Hunting", click on it under my signature down below. Read it. You have lots of resources available to you that can help you pinpoint sites that are likely to produce fossils. There are no guarantees unless you can find a local hunter who is willing to share info or join a local rock club and then meet people who know where to hunt and will share info. If you are good with computers you can literally cruise likely roads looking for road cuts via Google Earth.

Scroll down on the forum and look for Nebraska/Iowa under the Fossil Sites area and perhaps you will find some likely sites your father can take you too.

Good Luck! :)

• I found this Informative 1

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts: