Trip Back In January

Major

So I hit Quail Ridge Creek again a few months ago. This time I came prepared, though. I had a limited time and a lot of energy, so I brought along 3 -count 'em- 3 5-gallon buckets and filled them up down the creek a ways. 5 gallons weigh a ton when filled with sediments -.-

Since then in my spare time I've enjoyed the weather and sifted carefully though them, and just take a look at the things I found.

Got a bit I need Id'd but I'll post them in the morning/afternoon (your afternoon, my morning [on spring break, at least, noon is my morning]).

Found a shark tooth in matrix along with a gar tooth, both of which are in the following images.

I also found my first legit vertebrae of a fish. Could I possibly have that Id'd?

Here they are:

post-905-1238558474_thumb.jpg

post-905-1238558534_thumb.jpg

post-905-1238558563_thumb.jpg

post-905-1238558574_thumb.jpg

post-905-1238558586_thumb.jpg

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

I know all too well how heavy 5 gallon buckets loaded with gravel are. I've since used an old hiking backpack with the hip strap/supports. (You can them at flea markets for 10 bucks or so) I put the gravel inside one or two garbage bags to avoid getting wet, then drop them in the old backpack.. It's actually surprising how much easier it is to walk out of a creek with 50 - 75 pounds of gravel that way. People don't give you as weird of looks, either.

Oh yeah, very nice finds.

"They ain't heavy, they're my fossils". (Right)

Super-sized and to-go; well worth the effort!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds!!! I usually do the bucket thing also.I have used a backpack also. The backpack method is way better than the bucket approach. The only thing is with me is that my backpack is already full of other collecting,lunch,water...stuff...etc.

I know all too well how heavy 5 gallon buckets loaded with gravel are. I've since used an old hiking backpack with the hip strap/supports. (You can them at flea markets for 10 bucks or so) I put the gravel inside one or two garbage bags to avoid getting wet, then drop them in the old backpack.. It's actually surprising how much easier it is to walk out of a creek with 50 - 75 pounds of gravel that way. People don't give you as weird of looks, either.

Oh yeah, very nice finds.

Yeah when I came around the bend and my dad was standing on the bridge I called out, "Could you give me a hand?!"

He just laughed and got into the car and took a nap -.-

It was tiresome but worth it to me.

I've yet to really go through my other two buckets, but I've gone through them without sifting and I sifted the most fruitful.

No Id's on the vert? seems to have had 3 obvious protrusions...

Thanks!

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

A little red wagon might come in handy, just shovel it all into the wagon and drill holes in the bottom for drainage and maybe beef up the tires a little. Hmmm Those big gardener wagons could work too with the big rubber tires.

Yeah this could work depending on terrain.

post-1280-1238605642_thumb.jpg

Nice. Looks kind of like a bucket of stuff from Post Oak Creek. Your gar tooth actually looks more like a barracuda tooth. However, 4th above that tooth (in the picture of everything) kind of looks like a gar tooth (although the picture is too small to tell for sure).

Wagon?

Gasoline-powered wheelbarrow!

post-423-1238611529_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Nice. Looks kind of like a bucket of stuff from Post Oak Creek. Your gar tooth actually looks more like a barracuda tooth. However, 4th above that tooth (in the picture of everything) kind of looks like a gar tooth (although the picture is too small to tell for sure).

Yeah I'm sorry that'd be a barracuda tooth, my mistake. I was thinking about something else as I typed it, that being two gar scales I found in the same bucket.

Original image before downscaling:

WARNING! LARGE IMAGE! (764.09k)

post-905-1238620698_thumb.jpg

Image of the smaller objects:

WARNING! LARGE IMAGE! (745.87k)

post-905-1238620806_thumb.jpg

I don't have the gar scales in these images, though, as as I was taking them I had the scales in a safer place, with my vert. (Would've been awesome to find a gar tooth/jaw section and find out my vert was gar, too lol)

And still no idea on the vertebrae?

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

And still no idea on the vertebrae?

I know exaxctly what it is:

An element of the spinal column! (April Fool!)

"No Id's on the vert? seems to have had 3 obvious protrusions..."

bony fish, arrived at through processes of elimination based on elimination of processes.

here, gaze at some id'd fossils, and some fish verts. ==> fossils

A little red wagon might come in handy, just shovel it all into the wagon and drill holes in the bottom for drainage and maybe beef up the tires a little. Hmmm Those big gardener wagons could work too with the big rubber tires.

Yeah this could work depending on terrain.

Man I thought I was the only one!

I used a green wagon like that a while back in a creek near me. SOOO much easier then loading buckets.

But then of course I found out that my creek was fossilless. :(