Petrified Wood

kerryrocksnla

So my question is, I found a piece of petrified wood, when I picked it up it broke straight down the middle. It was a clean break. Of all the wood I've found this is the only one that is filled with this shiny glistening filler. It kind of looks like palm wood possibly, but I'm no expert. When I look at it and put the two pieces together it clanks like China. Its pretty fragile. What do you think it is filled with and is it no petrified? I see there are different types of fossilized wood, any ideas?

Central Louisiana Rock/Fossil Hunter! ;)

So my question is, I found a piece of petrified wood, when I picked it up it broke straight down the middle. It was a clean break. Of all the wood I've found this is the only one that is filled with this shiny glistening filler. It kind of looks like palm wood possibly, but I'm no expert. When I look at it and put the two pieces together it clanks like China. Its pretty fragile. What do you think it is filled with and is it no petrified? I see there are different types of fossilized wood, any ideas?

Can You send a picture?

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Can You send a picture?

I tried but it won't upload

It is probably too large; reduce it to under 2MB. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like it is silicified, commonly called flint or chert. It looks well preserved, you can cut a cross section and polish and probably see the cell structure.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

It is fossilized wood, palm maybe, need a photo of the ends, palm looks like there sliced pieces. If you live close to the Texas line it could very well be palm, that is where these pieces came from

Tom

post-3940-0-20226400-1442717249_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-05534200-1442717250_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"