Finally Found A Saw In Michigan!

TheFossilHunter

I've finally found someone who is selling a slab saw I've ben looking for for a while now. The problem is the saw is in Michigan. I am in new york. The owner doesn't want to ship it - local pickup only. I can't spend much money on shipping so I was thinking of renting a van for a weekend, but "Enterprise" requires that i stay within tri state area otherwise they charge for mileage. Other companies i tried charge for mileage.

Do you guys know a rental company that doesnt have a mileage limit and doesn't charge for mileage?

Maybe someone lives in Michigan and is coming to NY? we could make a deal.

Any siggestions?

Thanks

Mike

check truck rentals. offer a friend with a truck money, beer, fossils, etc.

check truck rentals. offer a friend with a truck money, beer, fossils, etc.

Hey Tracer, you got a truck? I have a 12 pack of bud light here, wanna trade for a couple days?

i like the idea of trading fossils for a truck. Anyone up for it?

I had a 600# pallet of birdseed shipped via a common carrier from Grand Rapids, MI to Alexandria, VA for about $40.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had a 600# pallet of birdseed shipped via a common carrier from Grand Rapids, MI to Alexandria, VA for about $40.

the problem is that the owner refuses to ship. only pickup

the problem is that the owner refuses to ship. only pickup

So have the freight company pick it up; the seller shouldn't have to lift a finger. You might get lucky with a moving co., too, if you find one with a load going from there to "here".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I live in Michigan. Where is the saw located. I am planning a New York trip in May. I go through Canada. How big is this thing and will it be a problem going through customs? Many question to answer before I agree to any arrangements.

crinus

I swear I saw the name and hoped to rest my eyes on a M249... I could see how that'd be difficult to ship.

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

I live in Michigan. Where is the saw located. I am planning a New York trip in May. I go through Canada. How big is this thing and will it be a problem going through customs? Many question to answer before I agree to any arrangements.

crinus

Hi Crinus

The saw is located in Zeeland, Michigan. You are thinking or hauling it thru canada? I dont know if there are any customs limitations. The saw is 53 x 28 by 44 high. if motor removed its 46 by 28 by 44. I am not sure of the weight, maybe 400lbs? what do you think?

Thanks

Mike

So have the freight company pick it up; the seller shouldn't have to lift a finger. You might get lucky with a moving co., too, if you find one with a load going from there to "here".

Will try, but this should be expensive. I am trying to find a cheaper solution

Guest solius symbiosus

Maybe, if you drove outside of the tri-state area, you could get a vehicle with unlimited mileage. I have rented from Enterprise around here, and the mileage was unlimited.

Maybe, if you drove outside of the tri-state area, you could get a vehicle with unlimited mileage. I have rented from Enterprise around here, and the mileage was unlimited.

Actually I asked them and they don't even have unlimited mileage even within tri state for any cars bigger than full size. so this is not gonna work

Hi Crinus

The saw is located in Zeeland, Michigan. You are thinking or hauling it thru canada? I dont know if there are any customs limitations. The saw is 53 x 28 by 44 high. if motor removed its 46 by 28 by 44. I am not sure of the weight, maybe 400lbs? what do you think?

Thanks

Mike

Hey Crinus,

Looks like you are my only hope. Do this and I will shower you with gifts:)

Mike

Hey Crinus,

Looks like you are my only hope. Do this and I will shower you with gifts:)

Mike

I am sitting here in Macomb, Ill (MAPS Fossil show) comtemplating this situation. Zeeland is on the other side of the state for me but it is on the way home from here. Unfortunately, I stopped to collect fossils before coming to MAPS and hit a pocket load of crinoids. So the back of my truck is filled with rock with no room for a saw.

Even if I agreed to pick it up at a future date my problem would be transporting it to New York. I work in the Toronto area so that is why I said I would be going through Canada. If I had that saw in my truck, it would mean going south to Ohio and up to NY. I think going through Canada would present problems. It would have to be a separate trip and not on tied to work. What part of NY are you in? In May I usually go to collect in the Buffalo area. Are you in Eastern NY?

What am I getting myself into????????????? I have to think some more on this.

crinus

I am sitting here in Macomb, Ill (MAPS Fossil show) comtemplating this situation. Zeeland is on the other side of the state for me but it is on the way home from here. Unfortunately, I stopped to collect fossils before coming to MAPS and hit a pocket load of crinoids. So the back of my truck is filled with rock with no room for a saw.

Even if I agreed to pick it up at a future date my problem would be transporting it to New York. I work in the Toronto area so that is why I said I would be going through Canada. If I had that saw in my truck, it would mean going south to Ohio and up to NY. I think going through Canada would present problems. It would have to be a separate trip and not on tied to work. What part of NY are you in? In May I usually go to collect in the Buffalo area. Are you in Eastern NY?

What am I getting myself into????????????? I have to think some more on this.

crinus

Crinus, we both have to think about this and what it entails. It may not be easy on both ends, but i am glad you are considering this option. I live in the city, but the saw actually needs to be dropped off on central NJ about an hour away southwest from where i live. I agree that this has to be a separate trip. It's great that you are going to be collecting in NJ in MAY. worst case scenario, i could go to buffalo and pick it up from you although it may be simpler if you agree to haul it to NJ. Maybe we can turn this into an exciting hunting trip over NY, NJ, or PA. I know a lot of great sites and guide you to them. + of course I can give you some nice fossils. I also have a new in box bike that i dont need so if you need one, thats great. Or if you prefer monetary reward , that is not out of the question either. With you coming over to NY, I think we can work something out, as long as you think you'll be okay with that thing in your truck.

so let me know, it looks like we have some options here.

Maybe I can convince the owner to put it on a pallete..will be easier to transport.

Thanks

Mike