April 2nd Creek Hunt

Guest Cris

I walked a few places in Gainesville for a while today. Figured with the 6+ inches on rain we had yesterday, there had to be some new stuff exposed. I got lots of "in the field" photos since I know a lot of you guys enjoy those. (They help hone your hunting eye, too) Found a couple of nice points, also... Unexpected finds are always the best. There's a ton of photos here, so apologies to anyone on slower internet connection speeds - for everyone else, enjoy! :D

post-16-1238716580_thumb.jpg

First tooth of the day.

post-16-1238716689_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238716700_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238716775_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238716842_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717027_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717079_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717124_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717255_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717322_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717391_thumb.jpg

Finally, a whole meg... Found this one about 10 minutes after the broken three incher in the group photo.

post-16-1238717504_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717520_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717528_thumb.jpg

Horse tooth.

post-16-1238717647_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717686_thumb.jpg

How's this for a tooth? Found it feeling around in some deeper sand...At first I thought it was a dugong rib until I took a closer look... Anyone have any idea as to which kind of whale this was?

And now for the artifacts.

post-16-1238717962_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238717991_thumb.jpg

Found this while walking down into the creek from a road ditch. Rain from yesterday washed a lot of the sides of the ditch away.

post-16-1238718060_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238718088_thumb.jpg

This one about gave me a heart attack. I was digging with my hands in the place I found the whole meg, large whale tooth and 3 inch broken meg..I had it in my hand and threw it onto the bank without seeing it. (I was digging like a madman with my hands, looking through what I dug out every 10 minutes or so by splashing water on the stuff) I glanced up because I heard the familiar sound of worked chert...

post-16-1238718470_thumb.jpg

The days finds.

ok, um, lessee, how to phrase this - word choice is so important in a modern, civilized society...DANG!

Dang you make that look easy; especially with the 3-fer pic!

How come your creeks don't bang the teeth up so much? Fresh out-of-matrix, or you just don't collect the banged up stuff?

I have to admit that a whale tooth the size of a gourmet banana is pretty impressive!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What creeks did you hit? I've got to hit another one than Quail sometime. Not that it's a bad creek, but I've yet to find anything with any real significance.

Turok1copy.png

Pretty sweet stuff!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Dang you make that look easy; especially with the 3-fer pic!

How come your creeks don't bang the teeth up so much? Fresh out-of-matrix, or you just don't collect the banged up stuff?

I have to admit that a whale tooth the size of a gourmet banana is pretty impressive!

A lot of the fossils still have pieces of matrix on them. I also find them on the banks sometimes before the ever hit the water. It's probably both the fact that they're recently out of matrix and there's very little water flow most of the time.

What creeks did you hit? I've got to hit another one than Quail sometime. Not that it's a bad creek, but I've yet to find anything with any real significance.

I hit three or four creeks and just walked for a while. It probably wasn't so much my location as much as it was the 6+ inches of rain and me being the first one out there after it. If you want good finds, you have to get there right after a good rain or you have to screen the gravel bars... Let me know next time you get to hunt in Gainesville.

Man Cris, the workmanship is very sweet on the artifacts. Great timing on your part...that's what ups the odds. Nice pics.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

:cool: Great finds!!! Nice pictures!!!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, the next time I come down there I want a creek like that one!! Great finds. Must have put a smile on your face that day!!

Very nice finds. Thank you for sharing. The photos were more fun than "I Spy" books.

You hae inspired me to hunt some creeks near me.

Pentax Optio W60

Great finds Cris, the whale tooth looks like a Sperm Whale. Just love the ground shots.