Rock Identification

mcurasco8

I found this rock in North Central Pennsylvania (Tioga County) and I'm trying to find an identification. There's a good chance its a piece of pumice because of its extremely light weight. Its slightly larger than a golf ball in size. However the rock has more to it than just pumice like characteristics. Anyone have a guess?

post-794-1238721622_thumb.jpg

post-794-1238721647_thumb.jpg

Maybe cinder/slag? Old iron foundries and even glass factories turned out a lot of stuff that looks like that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found this rock in North Central Pennsylvania (Tioga County) and I'm trying to find an identification. There's a good chance its a piece of pumice because of its extremely light weight. Its slightly larger than a golf ball in size. However the rock has more to it than just pumice like characteristics. Anyone have a guess?

dunno. does it seem microvesicular? <he said, trying desperately to look nonchalant as if he hadn't just looked that word up>

I thinkAuspex hit it right. being from pa I collected many of these igneous looking rocks as a kid. Just a byproduct of the hundreds of iron smelting furnaces we have in our state.

Mike

It does look like some kind of slag. I was thinking coke from the description but the coke I have seen is much more vascular/frothy/bubbly. Coke is reduced coal so if it is coke it will burn at high temperatures.

dunno. does it seem microvesicular? <he said, trying desperately to look nonchalant as if he hadn't just looked that word up>

Well, being microvesicular (assuming that tracer is not talking about some kind of reversal), pumice will float in water. Looks like some kind of slag/cinder to me, too.

Well, being microvesicular (assuming that tracer is not talking about some kind of reversal), pumice will float in water. Looks like some kind of slag/cinder to me, too.

Exactly. I have to agree with the above. What set Pumice apart from typical lava rock is the floaring. Also Pumice usually has a sponge-like appearance.

Be true to the reality you create.