Potomac River Beaver Tooth?

indianhead

Found this in along the shore of the Potomac River near Pope's Creek.

Think it is a beaver tooth from the round bottom and flat top, but could not find a reference pic.

Typically find alot of sharks teeth, some crocodile teeth, porpise teeth, and always lots of bits of petrified wood and bone, as well as the unsual misc items. The largest sharks teeth are usually about 2".

Am always amazed, if you squat down and look at a good patch of sand, you can find the most amazing tiny whole fossils, that most people would never see.

The coin is a quarter

Link to Large Pic

misc2_128.jpg

...Am always amazed, if you squat down and look at a good patch of sand, you can find the most amazing tiny whole fossils, that most people would never see.

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't help with your tooth ID, but I did want to add to your comment about the "micros" there. Years ago, plopping down in the sand there and filling a film can with those tiny little teeth was a favorite pastime of mine when the tides weren't giving up any big stuff. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It would be easier to ID with larger format pics showing both front and back. It's possible it's the remains of an Indian feast, from the middens along the top of the cliff, or just some unlucky critter that fell off of the cliff.

Found this in along the shore of the Potomac River near Pope's Creek.

Think it is a beaver tooth from the round bottom and flat top, but could not find a reference pic.

Typically find alot of sharks teeth, some crocodile teeth, porpise teeth, and always lots of bits of petrified wood and bone, as well as the unsual misc items. The largest sharks teeth are usually about 2".

Am always amazed, if you squat down and look at a good patch of sand, you can find the most amazing tiny whole fossils, that most people would never see.

The coin is a quarter

I don't see any resemblance to a beaver tooth, and it only vaguely reminds me of a tooth at all. It may be your single image, or it may be that your object is beach-polished beyond recognition.

If you do a search of this forum, you'll find plenty of images of beaver teeth, including this one.

post-42-1238774714_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Not really sure. More angles could be useful to identify.

Sounds like you're somewhere in the MD area. Welcome to the Forum from another Marylander :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

misc2_127.jpg

misc2_127.jpg (2.2 MB)

misc2_126.jpg

misc2_126.jpg (2.8 MB)

misc2_124.jpg

misc2_124.jpg (2.3 MB)

My lighting skills blow :)

I was thinking it ws a beaver front tooth and not the back teeth because it is round at the bottom and flattens out with a slight curvature to it. It is also somewhat symmetrical from side to side

beaver2.jpg

I am now leaning against the beaver tooth because it does not have the striations(?) along the length as in this link below.

Fossilized beaver front teeth

The resolution in your full-sized pics is incredible; nice camera!

I'm not so sure it's a tooth; usually, even worn enamel has a distinctive look to me. Could it be a well polished piece of bone?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

im really not sure but knowing what you can find there and how worn things get it could be anything, a rock, a really worn sharks tooth lol i have a few like that, it even could be some kind of mammal tooth but im not sure its really water worn whatever it is.