Pleistocene Bone?

ashcraft

A student brought this bone to me, her father is an artifact collector and picked up somewhere in Perry county, MO. It is a karst region and pleistocene remains are found occassionally. I do not recognize the bone, which doesn't mean much. Any opinions on what and when?

post-120-1238795692_thumb.jpg

post-120-1238795729_thumb.jpg

post-120-1238795771_thumb.jpg

post-120-1238795804_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

I think it's an astragalas (ankle bone).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll tentatively identify this as an artiodactyl astragalus (ankle bone)...possibly Bison (but possibly also a cow). Without a little more collecting provenance it is tough to be more specific until I can get ahold of one of my reference books.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

what fruitbat said. he definitely got the right bone. from line drawings i have, it may well be bison, but is it heavily mineralized, dense, like rock?

It is fairly dense, I would call it somewhat mineralized. I would have liked to have done the flame test, but would have risked serious injury from the student. Mineralization is kind of iffy around here. I have seen dino bones from the chronister site that didn't appear to have any mineralization. (Yes, I know, but trust me, one fish bone collected from the site was actually eaten by a cat, and a geology professor from St. Louis actually burned one of the bones to check for odor). I have also seen pleistocene wood that would still burn. On the other side, I have seen two year old cow bones turned fully black from manganese staining in a creek.

We have a mounted bison in my bio dept at SEMO, I'll try to check out its astragallus.

Thanks for all of the input.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen