Pricing Fossils

Frank Menser

Ok...Here's the deal. I am (as posted in the Member Sales forum) selling several items -mainly trilobites from my collection. The thing is, I am not a dealer and I am not trying to get rich. However, I know that some of my fossils which have been in my collection for 15-20 years do not have the same value as when I orrigionally bought them, or frankly I have forgotten what I paid. I have looked at some of the cataloges I saved but they are almost a decade out of date on some of the fossils I have.

I want to set fair value on them. Can anyone recommend someone who can help me with this?

Be true to the reality you create.

The values of common fossils can be determined by a survey of websites of various fossil dealers. The more rare and impressive a fossil is, say a Silica trilobite completely replaced with pyrite, the more the price depends on demand from individual interested buyers. A petrified wood collector might offer you $20.00 for it while a trilobite collector might offer over $1,000.00. There is no master MSRP list for fossils, so just give it your best shot.

The values of common fossils can be determined by a survey of websites of various fossil dealers. The more rare and impressive a fossil is, say a Silica trilobite completely replaced with pyrite, the more the price depends on demand from individual interested buyers. A petrified wood collector might offer you $20.00 for it while a trilobite collector might offer over $1,000.00. There is no master MSRP list for fossils, so just give it your best shot.

Anything is worth what people are willing to pay for it :D

It depends on what you have Frank, like Ron said. Pictures would help :D I do like trilobites I wouldn't mind seeing some of yours.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Ok...Here's the deal. I am (as posted in the Member Sales forum) selling several items -mainly trilobites from my collection. The thing is, I am not a dealer and I am not trying to get rich. However, I know that some of my fossils which have been in my collection for 15-20 years do not have the same value as when I orrigionally bought them, or frankly I have forgotten what I paid. I have looked at some of the cataloges I saved but they are almost a decade out of date on some of the fossils I have.

I want to set fair value on them. Can anyone recommend someone who can help me with this?

post them here and ask people to pm you suggested prices and offers.

I have a better idea...)) like it was said here before..fossils are worth what people are willing to pay for it.

How about you just sell me all your trilobites for a dollar? I am willing to pay it.

This way you won't have to worry about finding the fair price..i am ready to relieve you of all your fossils for an unfair price of one dollar!

Prices depends so much what is trilobite' species, condition, rarity and size. Some collectors don't want rolled trilobites, so it can also change the price. Complete Lichids are always expensive.

I think Geological Enterprises have "fair prices" what comes on trilobites. http://www.geologicalenterprises.com/catalog/

I'm relly waiting to see your trilobites on sale. :)

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check them out... :D

Be true to the reality you create.