Some Fossils From Ukraine

RomanK

Welcome back Roman!

Spring means that I can once again nourish my appreciation of the beauty of these plants; Thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome back Roman!

Spring means that I can once again nourish my appreciation of the beauty of these plants; Thanks!

Thank you, Auspex, I'm really happy come back. Not sure I will appear very often but try as much as I can. I have very serious plans on this summer to discover the Jura strata in the region. I will publish all interesting finds if be lucky.

Roman

Thank you for the pictures, What great fossils!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi Shamalama, they're from Carboniferous (Pennsylvania time). Have you some Penn plant fossils?

Well, If your going to put me on the spot.... ;)

A couple of Alethopteris

post-1408-1238930063_thumb.jpg

post-1408-1238930084_thumb.jpg

This is part of a large Sigilaria root system I found that had a large root split into two smaller branches

post-1408-1238930594_thumb.jpg

It was too broken up and fragile to carry out but some of the smaller pieces show neat layering of the plant tissues with the scaly exterior overlying the woody interior.

post-1408-1238930617_thumb.jpg

Looks like an ancient logjam.

post-1408-1238930639_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

...I have very serious plans on this summer to discover the Jura strata in the region. I will publish all interesting finds if be lucky.

Roman

What kind of fossils do you expect to find in your Jura strata?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, If your going to put me on the spot.... ;)

A couple of Alethopteris

post-1408-1238930063_thumb.jpg

post-1408-1238930084_thumb.jpg

This is part of a large Sigilaria root system I found that had a large root split into two smaller branches

post-1408-1238930594_thumb.jpg

It was too broken up and fragile to carry out but some of the smaller pieces show neat layering of the plant tissues with the scaly exterior overlying the woody interior.

post-1408-1238930617_thumb.jpg

Looks like an ancient logjam.

post-1408-1238930639_thumb.jpg

I don't think you have to put yourself on the spot, very interesting things you showed. I made an interesting discovering due to your pictures. I thought I found some calamites (red one on my posted pictures) but I see now that that pieces are the inner layer of the lepidodendron trunk! Interesting!

Why do you think that is sigillaria tree? On my view that is lepidodendron cause you have a scaly bark.

I made another very obvious conclusion for myself looking on your reply, ask people to get new information and you will have wider view on your favourite business. Thanks.

What kind of fossils do you expect to find in your Jura strata?

I have an idée fixe to find a big reptile fossil, but will try to find anything (plant or animal). You can see that place

post-814-1238961347_thumb.jpg

right side - the chalk mountains (Cretaceous) covered by forest, but there is a Jurassic strata near.

I don't think you have to put yourself on the spot, very interesting things you showed. I made an interesting discovering due to your pictures. I thought I found some calamites (red one on my posted pictures) but I see now that that pieces are the inner layer of the lepidodendron trunk! Interesting!

Why do you think that is sigillaria tree? On my view that is lepidodendron cause you have a scaly bark.

I made another very obvious conclusion for myself looking on your reply, ask people to get new information and you will have wider view on your favourite business. Thanks.

Roman,

I would agree with your early naming of your red Calamites stem section. The reason being that it has the segmented nature and trunk striations typical of Calamites. If you look at the far right part of the picture you can see some of the vertical striations kind of bending together? From research I've done that is indicative of a leaf scar. If it were Lepidodendron wood I think you would see more leaf attachment points arranged in a regular sprial pattern around the trunk. I think you have a great piece there! :faint:

Here is a Calamites stem section I found this past winter. It's not as well detailed as yours but you can still see the segmented nature of the stem and long lateral striations:

post-1408-1238964986_thumb.jpg

As for the Sigillaria my early identification was based on the fact that Lepidodendron have long narrow scales and these are short and wide and it's not Stigmaria because those have more root attachment points and often the roots themselves sticking out like in your last picture. When I compare what I see with a couple of good images in the "Fossils of Ohio" book I have (figure 23-7, pg. 432-433) it shows two pictures which very closely resemble what I found and they are identified as Sigillaria brardii . I will try to scan those pages tomorrow so you can see.

You are correct, you can always learn more by asking questions and please feel free to correct me if you think I am mistaken, It's the only way I will learn. :D

Dave

-Dave

Here are the scans I promised:

post-1408-1239103633_thumb.jpgpost-1408-1239103640_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Guest solius symbiosus
As for the Sigillaria my early identification was based on the fact that Lepidodendron have long narrow scales and these are short and wide and it's not Stigmaria because those have more root attachment points and often the roots themselves sticking out like in your last picture. When I compare what I see with a couple of good images in the "Fossils of Ohio" book I have (figure 23-7, pg. 432-433) it shows two pictures which very closely resemble what I found and they are identified as Sigillaria brardii . I will try to scan those pages tomorrow so you can see.

I have to agree with Roman on this one. In Sigillaria, the leaf scars are arranged in vertical rows, on Lepidodendron they are diamond shaped patterns. Though, parts of S. brardi can exhibit characteristics that are superficially similar to Lepidodendron, they are lacking median vertical grooves in the leaf scars such as yours appear to exhibit.

See THIS

I have to agree with Roman on this one. In Sigillaria, the leaf scars are arranged in vertical rows, on Lepidodendron they are diamond shaped patterns. Though, parts of S. brardi can exhibit characteristics that are superficially similar to Lepidodendron, they are lacking median vertical grooves in the leaf scars such as yours appear to exhibit.

See THIS

I'm not even going to pretend I understood everything in the paper you linked to. :blink: But if I understand what you are saying correctly, you are agreeing that parts of Sigillaria can look like Lepidodendron, but the Sigillaria leaf scars are missing the median vertical grooves that are normally present in Lepidodendron?

Dave

-Dave

Guest solius symbiosus
... parts of Sigillaria can look like Lepidodendron, but the Sigillaria leaf scars are missing the median vertical grooves that are normally present in Lepidodendron?

I'm not a plant guy, but that is my understanding.

Too, from my own anecdotal experience, it appears that the "deeper" one gets into the barks, the more similar they appear.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice material! Thanks for sharing. I take care of plants for a living now and am just beginning to learn about the fossil plant side of this hobby. Good stuff. Thanks again for the pictures/discussion. Regards, Chris