Skull

CreekCrawler

Not a fossil here ,but an interesting skull! Found on the shores of a Texas lake. I'm 98% shure what it is. The scientific name for this critter has the two letters.....Ps....... Guess what I was????????

post-417-1238855494_thumb.jpgpost-417-1238855439_thumb.jpgpost-417-1238855456_thumb.jpgpost-417-1238855478_thumb.jpg

don't know what it is, but know what it should have been.

a "psleaverite thericus"

looks like a catfish or sumpin to my unpscientific psothesis

I think you are close. A little clue ....there are no teeth whatsoever in the lower jaw.

It looks sort of like what I would expect a Paddlefish skull to look like.

Bingo....give that man a cigar!!! Or did you get a clue from the Tx connection?

What's a paddle fish?

Hello Ken, I tried to post a link but can't.Just type Paddlefish into your browser.

Bingo....give that man a cigar!!! Or did you get a clue from the Tx connection?

I saw a live one many years ago. Once you see one it's hard to forget.

I have also heard them called spoonbills.

A paddlefish skull! That is too cool.

Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_paddlefish

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In some states they are threatened and illegal to catch but in other states it is legal to fish for them.

What's a paddle fish?

They live in freshwater and this is what they look like and thats all I know. B)B)B):D

post-23-1238893664_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Glad you turned out to be right on that one snakekeeper. Cool find, Ill have to keep my eyes open more often when Im out and about. ;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

No,no fish! And we all loaded up and left around 5:00, the wind was a brute. Travis is recouping in a hotel tonight.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

No,no fish! And we all loaded up and left around 5:00, the wind was a brute. Travis is recouping in a hotel tonight.

Wow,I bet a warm shower is gonna be like a hotdog on a campout to ole Trav!!!!!

That was sure a nice channel cat that you caught!! :)

Ugh. I'm not sure if the the sunburn or windburn hurts more. I guess archers get up early, because the whole hotel is awake and stirrin' before 6am.

Chondostrians have hard bones, or are they just cartilaginous ones? My question is, that if its bones are cartilaginous, how can this skeleton manage to preserve?

:unsure:

Guest bmorefossil
They live in freshwater and this is what they look like and thats all I know. B)B)B):D

wow do they really keep their mouth open like that?

Chondostrians have hard bones, or are they just cartilaginous ones? My question is, that if its bones are cartilaginous, how can this skeleton manage to preserve?

:unsure:

It's modern.

wow do they really keep their mouth open like that?

Yes, they do. They are caught by dragging a hook through the water.

Alfred North Whithead