Toothy In Texas?

Frank Menser

A couple of years back I got to travel to Ft. Worth to do some fossiling. The hotel we stayed at was bordered on one side by a ditch which had an outcropping of a hard white Limestone. I found some Ammonite impressions there. I also found these pieces. The larger has what appears to be a tooth, maybe two. There is enamel(?) in a thin layer on all sides ansd the shape is similar to Mosasaur teeth. The smaller piece appears to me to be an internal cast of a tooth and was found next to the first piece.

post-1313-1238961328_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Never heard of those, but sure does look the part... :)

Be true to the reality you create.

Might be Goodland as opposed to Fort Worth formation too......especially if you were in western Fort Worth.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan's right, they are seen most often as a Goodland formation fossil. Although I have seen them in the Grayson formation as well.

Also the outer shell can be smooth OR sometimes covered with a pattern of tiny sharp bumps like the skin of a horned-toad. I don't know if both surface types are from different species or just different sides of the shell.

Frank

I have to pile on and say it's a Pinna clam. Here are three pics of one I collected in the Goodland formation in west Fort Worth:

070715-001-Pinnasp-Razorclamreverse.jpg

a close up

070715-001-Pinnasp-Razorclamcloseup.jpg

Roger