Mazon Creek Trip This Summer

sweeneyb

I am planning on making a trip to Mazon Creek to get some nodules. I was wondering where the best spot to go was and also was wondering if it is on public land? How do you need where to look?

Another site on my Bucket List. Good luck!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I am planning on making a trip to Mazon Creek to get some nodules. I was wondering where the best spot to go was and also was wondering if it is on public land? How do you need where to look?

I was just there on Saturday. Years ago I collected there on a regular basis and what a shocked as too the difference. The area is HEAVILY overgrown. Finding a spot that is clear of brush is not going to be easy and those spot are going to be picked over. The collecting season starts on March 1 and the locals hit is early. By the end of April it will be a very difficult place to collect and I am sure the ticks will be everywhere. I would not recommend it for the summer months.

Even so, I did enjoy my collecting day with shorty and her friend. I collected about 30 concretion for about 6 hours of collecting. In the old days, six hours would have yielded a few buckets of concretions. Very sparse collecting.

Shorty did post a map of the collecting area (open to the public) in one of her Fossil Id posts. Look there and you will find a link to the map. Or you can try googling Mazonia-Braidwood and you will probably get the link.

crinus

Come on out! It's a fun way to spend a day.

The only public place I know is Mazonia State Park.

Here's the map

post-1206-1239039230_thumb.jpg

The Mazonia South Unit is where I usually go.

Collecting does take patience. Like Crinus said, it's overgrown - but it's not impossible. I was never here back in the good old days, so this is all I'm used to. They may plow a field to expose more fossils this spring. If they do, I'll let you know.

Here's the Mazonia State Park website.

The ticks will be out soon. I usually just douse myself with Deepwoods Off and haven't gotten any on me.

Good luck!

Kim