Whale Tooth?

kaleb

Here is what i think is a whales tooth I found it on the dredge island i normally hunt in the river

DSC03928.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

DSC03927.jpg

DSC03926.jpg

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

Thanks for the help

post-1313-1238963563_thumb.jpg

Any idea of the age of the formation that came out of? Also a locality would help. Definitely looks like a tooth, but i'm not so sure it's whale.

Be true to the reality you create.

post-1313-1238963563_thumb.jpg

Any idea of the age of the formation that came out of? Also a locality would help. Definitely looks like a tooth, but i'm not so sure it's whale.

sorry not sure of the formation but it was found on a island in the cape fear river in wilmington nc. the island was built from the dirt the dredge up off the bottom of the river

sorry not sure of the formation but it was found on a island in the cape fear river in wilmington nc. the island was built from the dirt the dredge up off the bottom of the river

Looks to me like the tip of a rib. If it were found in Florida, I'd guess dugong rib.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Looks to me like the tip of a rib. If it were found in Florida, I'd guess dugong rib.

Thanks if it is part of a rib it came from a big animal

Beat me to it, Harry. It looks more like bone to me, and sirenian ribs can have 'pointy' ends. The weathering pattern on the fossil looks more like that of bone then tooth.

Bobby

Looks kind of flat to me to be the tip of a Dugong rib. I collected plenty of them in S. Florida. Got any good comparrison photos?

Looks kind of flat to me to be the tip of a Dugong rib. I collected plenty of them in S. Florida. Got any good comparrison photos?

<chuckle> I don't keep dugong ribs, Frank. I use 'em sometimes as ballast in the bottom of big pots for plants, but there are none in my drawer. :)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The cross sectional shape matches what I've seen of Neogene dugongids from the west coast (Dusisiren, Hydrodamalis). The oval shape is about right.

Bobby

<chuckle> I don't keep dugong ribs, Frank. I use 'em sometimes as ballast in the bottom of big pots for plants, but there are none in my drawer. :)

Kind of the same reason I don't have any to show.... :D