Where do you get La Brea material?

FossilHunter99

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I've seen lots of posts with La Brea Tar Pits material, so I was wondering where can you get those types of fossils? (I know the original La Brea Tar Pits is protected from fossil hunters).

Not sure about real fossils. But there are a lot of good replicas around. Many websites sell replica skulls of Smilodon and such.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

All of mine came from old collections, and about half are from the nearby McKittrick pits.

An example:

post-423-0-46314600-1444326373_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have a tarbug from an old collection (bought at a gem & mineral show), and a few pieces of bone (probably bird) that I found in a rock shop. Those are likely from McKittrick.

Keep your eyes open--I remember reading as a kid about fossils, and La Brea, and the illegality of collecting there, and thought (with disappointment) that I'd never have the opportunity to get a piece for myself. Imagine my surprise at finding the tarbug (one of three) for sale!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the quick answers! I'll keep an eye out for fossil from McKittrick from now on, I mostly like raptor bones and claws.

The insects look awesome on the pictures! Sure would like to own one some day...Also Auspex what kind of bone is the one in your matrix?

...Also Auspex what kind of bone is the one in your matrix?

It is the proximal portion of an avian femur; I have yet to identify it even to family, as the few potentially diagnostic features remaining are conflicting.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

... I mostly like raptor bones and claws.

post-423-0-16203200-1444333010_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is actual Rancho la Brea material in old collections but much of what has been seen at shows and online in recent years came out of McKittrick and Maricopa (Kern County, CA). People were doing a lot of tar pit digging in the 1970's and 1980's, but because the tar is so gooey (technical term), you can only dig it during the winter months and the winter months are not always that cold in that part of central California. The bones tend to be found in pockets so you could dig all day (and a couple of days after that) and not find anything. Few collectors these days have the patience for that so just about everything you see for sale has been sold before.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I've seen lots of posts with La Brea Tar Pits material, so I was wondering where can you get those types of fossils? (I know the original La Brea Tar Pits is protected from fossil hunters).

• 3 months later...

This is a true La Brea fossil characterised by the brown color which only occurs at Rancho La Brea , los Angeles. All other tar pit examples are black..

post-16517-0-89158700-1456575028_thumb.jpg

This has been in my family since the mid 1930s.willed to me and kept tightly away because of the nature of the legalities of owning/selling labrea material.

Edited by Leoncio

I have a tarbug from an old collection (bought at a gem & mineral show), and a few pieces of bone (probably bird) that I found in a rock shop. Those are likely from McKittrick.

Keep your eyes open--I remember reading as a kid about fossils, and La Brea, and the illegality of collecting there, and thought (with disappointment) that I'd never have the opportunity to get a piece for myself. Imagine my surprise at finding the tarbug (one of three) for sale!

This is a true La Brea fossil characterised by the brown color which only occurs at Rancho La Brea , los Angeles. All other tar pit examples are black..

Not necessarily true. I have seen that color from the tar seeps in McKittrick as well. That is usually a description that sellers use to make you think theirs is from the pits in LA. Similar specimens from LA and from Kern County will have very different price tags.

"allcash818" on eBay has a number of specimens up for sale. Claim, its from George Lee collection all La Brea Pits finds

Yes, I have also seen both brown and black tar pit bones from McKittrick but the Maricopa stuff seems more often black. Some sellers sell tar pit anything all as "La Brea" because it's the well-known locality whether they know the source or not.

Not necessarily true. I have seen that color from the tar seeps in McKittrick as well. That is usually a description that sellers use to make you think theirs is from the pits in LA. Similar specimens from LA and from Kern County will have very different price tags.

Here's an area you might try.

I went to grad school just north of LA in Valencia. I had a pony that I boarded at a stable in the pass between the San Fernando Valley and The Santa Clarita Valley where Valencia is. We were allowed to ride in the hills behind the stable, probably oil company land. There were small, active tar pits alongside the trail. These pits were just a few feet across, covered in gooey, wet tar that smelled just a road paving crew.

The stables were on the west side of the I-5 corridor and were accessed off a frontage road. It was very close to where another interstate went off toward the Antelope Valley. I remember the huge bridges and interchange ramps, actually worked on a movie shoot under those bridges. It's probably all covered with shopping malls now but maybe not.