Looking for Trilobites (and other fossils) in OK.

CrystalF

I am hoping for some help! I am going to Beavers Bend State Park near Broken Bow, Oklahoma on Halloween weekend and I am so hoping to squeeze in a stop for fossil hunting on the way there or back. The only problem is I have limited knowledge on fossils sites that would be appropriate for a quick stop. I would appreciate any tips for publicly known fossil locales either located around Broken Bow or from Dallas on the way to Broken Bow. I do know no collecting in State Parks already.

I'll will be looking for geological map a bit later. Perhaps a road cut would be good pit stop place to search as well and I want to know some of the areas and fossils that can be found along the way even if we can't stop,

I have been looking up some information for a few weeks (mostly about trilobites) and I have found that trilobites can be found in OK but I am having a hard time finding specifics, such as contact information for some of the locations I found. I have read all sorts of stuff on White Mound and Black Cat Hill but I can not even find out if these places are still open. These locations might be too out of the way to drive on this trip, but I want to plan a trilobite trip for my birthday in spring at the very least. I love trilobites and I want to find one very much. I may even order some shale from U-dig that is Utah, I think if I remember right...but it is not that same as being there in person.

If all else fails I want to try to swing by Lake Texoma but I do not have any locality pin pointed for hunting just yet. Or at the very least swing by Post Oak Creek to pick up some gravel. Man that gravel is loaded!

Any help would be appreciated as I am crunched for time between work and college classes.

And one last question. The U-dig trilobite quarry that sells shale is asking 40lb of Trilobite Shale for $69.99 plus $20.00 shipping and handling which guarantees at least one visible trilobite when shipped. Is this a crazy price? The research that I have come across so far though indicates that the trilobites in OK are more varied than in others place in the US.

I have collected in two locations in Oklahoma, but neither are in the SE corner. Both are north of Ft Sill. Rt 19 runs west out of Boone, about 7 miles west Rt 58 runs into it going North. Right at that intersection are several cuts, Cambrian. Sparse fossils but they are there. There may be more cuts nearby worth poking in. NW of Boone is Stinking Creek, nearer to Alden. South of E1380 Road, in the stream bed, in the clayey material, I have found Olenoides. Again, very rare.

Your state Geological Service publishes many excellent books on trilobites in Oklahoma. Check them out.

Good luck and report back if you find anything good!

Trilobite Tim

Thanks for the info! For this coming trip those points are likely too far. I am going to try to put together a fossil hunting trip next year though just for hunting fossils and trilobites are the goal!

Post Oak Creek has a lot of shark teeth and micro teeth. Some bones can be found and fish vertebrates. It is located in Sherman Tx. It is a great place to find ptychodus teeth, one of my favorites. I brought home a just a small amount of gravel to shift through and I find something in almost every scoop I search. There are lots of ray teeth as well.

Some of the bigger stuff I found...not in the bucket I brought home. From shifting the gravel in the creek.

post-19104-0-05771000-1445034498_thumb.jpg

There are a lot of fragmented pieces, and some of the smaller teeth are broken but there are still several nice intact tiny teeth. I found lots of tiny stuff like this in the gravel I brought home.

post-19104-0-73876100-1445034931.jpg

And this Ptychodus from my first trip found on the gravel bar next to my feet. No shifting required!

post-19104-0-18657000-1445035170_thumb.jpg

I did find info and got into contact with Black Cat Mountain people! If anyone else is looking it is on this website http://blackcatmountain.com/contact_266.html

Edited by CrystalF