Is it hard to get teratorn fossils?

FossilHunter99

Hi!

I want to start a collection of pleistocene raptor fossils, I've already ordered my first fossils (a partial femur, a claw and a phalange). It would be awesome to add a teratorn fossil to the collection but I've found none for sale, are they hard to get?

Hi!

... It would be awesome to add a teratorn fossil to the collection but I've found none for sale, are they hard to get?

Yes, Teratornis material is very rare.

post-423-0-10773400-1445200723_thumb.jpg

I apologize for the poor image :blush:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is that from the Auspex collection?

'Tis indeed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Auspex but might say super-rare instead. I have seen a lot of tar pit fossils at shows and in private collections plus a lot of unprepped tar matrix with bones in it but not one teratorn bone. I have seen some large fossil raptor claws (probably eagles) and a few large bone ends recognizable as bird. I did once see what appeared to be the distal end of a large tarsometatarsus poking out of the surface of a large chunk of tar pit matrix (Kern County site, California). The owner was going to get around to prepping it out to see what it was but I don't know if he ever did. It was maybe 2 inches across the end - easily the largest piece like that I'd seen. You don't see as much tar pit material as in the past (used to see more in the 1980's-1990's).

At a show a friend once pulled out a beer flat full of bird bones, asking me if there were any teratorns in there. A paleontologist happened to be visiting and he was also looking at the variety of partial and complete bones in the box with none larger than what would fit in maybe a raven-sized skeleton. He said, "Are you kidding? Teratorns are huge!"

Hi!

I want to start a collection of pleistocene raptor fossils, I've already ordered my first fossils (a partial femur, a claw and a phalange). It would be awesome to add a teratorn fossil to the collection but I've found none for sale, are they hard to get?

... I did once see what appeared to be the distal end of a large tarsometatarsus poking out of the surface of a large chunk of tar pit matrix (Kern County site, California). The owner was going to get around to prepping it out to see what it was but I don't know if he ever did. It was maybe 2 inches across the end....

If it was indeed a tarsometatarsus, at that size, there is nothing else it could have been but Teratorn.