Dinosaur Encyclopedia

Runner64

Hello, I'm looking for an encyclopedia on dinosaurs. Are there any you guys would recommend? Looking for a modern one so it's more up to date, I that makes sense. Thanks.

Here is a link to the last book of this type that I have purchased. It certainly lists species that I had never heard of, so in terms of "up to date" it was way ahead of me. Check out the reviews in the link. There are several with critical comments, mostly grousing that more color illustrations were needed.

DinosaursThe Grand Tour: Everything Worth Knowing About Dinosaurs from Aardonyx to Zuniceratops: Keiron Pim, Jack Horner: 9781615192120: Amazon.com: Books

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Not sure I would call it an encyclopedia but the best reference book out there:

The Dinosauria "2nd Edition"

by David B. Weishampel, Peter Dodson, Halszka Osmólska

Not only does it list Dinosaurs by families in different chapters but it also gives you lots of skeletal information. Finally it shows you what has been found in all the different geographic regions of the world. This edition was published in 2007 so its not super current but few books are.

Here is a link to the last book of this type that I have purchased. It certainly lists species that I had never heard of, so in terms of "up to date" it was way ahead of me. Check out the reviews in the link. There are several with critical comments, mostly grousing that more color illustrations were needed.

DinosaursThe Grand Tour: Everything Worth Knowing About Dinosaurs from Aardonyx to Zuniceratops: Keiron Pim, Jack Horner: 9781615192120: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks snolly! I was actually thinking about getting this one. How much information is provided on each dinosaur?

Not only does it list Dinosaurs by families in different chapters but it also gives you lots of skeletal information. Finally it shows you what has been found in all the different geographic regions of the world. This edition was published in 2007 so its not super current but few books are.

Wow that sounds incredible Troodon. Thanks for the help, will definitely need to get this book at some point.

Agree.

I rarely collect generic non-scientific fossil publications. One exception is 'The Dinosauria' by Weishempel et al. It's a fairly comprehensive list of most of the published dinosaurs, their formation and locale.

It's a good idea to look at actual scientific publications often available on line or at the local university. At first they can be a bit intimidating but then start to make sense. The older publications provide a good foundation.

Edited by Ridgehiker

Troodon and Canadawest have suggested a fine volume, The Dinosauria. In contrast with Dinosaurs the Grand Tour, it does have a more "scientific" tone. The Grand Tour has a more coffee table book feel. However, it is certainly newer and therefore may contain more hot off the presses info. My copy of The Dinosauria was published in 2000, so I am not seeing the content of the 2nd edition. I don't know what may have been added.

I don't know your financial situation, but I think buying used is a shrewd way to go. That way you can acquire a larger selection of material, benefiting from the varied strong points.

Recently, I bought Grande's Fossil Lake volume. It was a library cast off. It looks as if it was never checked out. I'm delighted to have it and money left over for another book, if I wish.

Good luck, have fun. It's always a great feeling to get your hands on an interesting book.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Both books are a great addition to any library and serve different purposes, you cannot go wrong. Dinosauria 2nd edition was published in 2007 and can be acquired used.

Note: All these reference books have a hard time keeping up with new discoveries and studies which change our understanding of these animals. For example: Over the past five years over 100 new dinosaur species have been described, wow that's at a clip of 20 a year and earlier this year the sauropod world was turned upside down when new studies suggested resurrecting Brontosaurus and changing the relationship of species in certain families. Reference books are great and needed but online resources are best to keep current.

There is also Greg Paul's fairly recent dinosaur field guide,I think is what he calls it. My Google isnot working this morning, but it is by Princeton U Press

I 2nd what pretty much everyone else has said. The Dinosauria is my go to book. I have 4 of them! One hard cover and paperback of the first edition and one hard cover and paperback of the 2nd edition. I was looking something up in it just today.

Both books are a great addition to any library and serve different purposes, you cannot go wrong. Dinosauria 2nd edition was published in 2007 and can be acquired used.

Note: All these reference books have a hard time keeping up with new discoveries and studies which change our understanding of these animals. For example: Over the past five years over 100 new dinosaur species have been described, wow that's at a clip of 20 a year and earlier this year the sauropod world was turned upside down when new studies suggested resurrecting Brontosaurus and changing the relationship of species in certain families. Reference books are great and needed but online resources are best to keep current.

True. Fortunately we have two librairies in Calgary dedicated to just geology. I pop into them a couple times a month just to touch base as to what is current in the paleontology journals. I'm not all that knowledgeable of the specifics of dinosaur taxonomy but it's good to get perspective of what research is being done.

This is my favorite...

post-11220-0-27269700-1446364923_thumb.jpg

...older, but very useful...

post-11220-0-81750800-1446364925_thumb.jpg

...a wealth of (generic) information about Dinosaurs.

A must, if you ask me. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg