College Search

Sharktoothguy11222

it was very clear to me when i was amongst the academics that i was maybe 50% like them, but that i could never seamlessly blend into their world. but then again, the same could be said of my attempting to smoothly move through here, or the "real" world out there <waving hand toward the mean streets>. it's heck being a steppenwolf. (hesse's version - not the band). i mean, a courtier. <calling off camera> coming, sire! i was reminding the varlets to pull up the drawbridge for the night...

Hey guys,

Nalhunter, ya I saw the mention about NAU after I made my post - that must be new; I was one of four students in 2003 who started at MSU as the first batch of paleo undergrad students ever, so NAU must've picked it up later. There might be another bachelor's somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Mike - sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote. The only point I was trying to get across (and is probably more articulate this time around) is that unlike a lot of other careers, it isn't really something you can take a huge test on and get grad school acceptance/job offers from good test scores. Simply put, if someone has a passion for paleo and that genuine interest is sustained, publishing journal articles is simply the end-result of the research process (starting with digging a hole in the ground, then some work in a lab, and then some typing). Basically... the amount of publications you accomplish is directly related to your passion for the subject, and therefore so is your chance of getting a job.

Another bit of advice - go for an undergrad program in geology or biology; the sheer majority (probably over 99%) of grad students have one of these bachelor's degrees. Hell, I know a grad student who was a classics major as an undergrad. Then, you can do straight paleo for your master's, and still have a decent degree to fall back on if you later change your mind.

Bobby

Get a degree in chemistry, minor in geology and biology, and the world will be your oyster. I started as a computer science major, back when computers were just becoming common. I couldn't stand the first class! Moved on to math, calculus was not my cup of tea. Decided on chemisty and biology as a double major, eventually dropping bio to a minor. Biology is my first love, but not many grads get a job in the field unless their grades are really good, and I am basically fairly lazy. 90% of all chemists are employed as a chemist, which is a well paying occupation. Later, I started working in hazardous waste, which required travel. My kids were getting older, looked for a more local occupation, and went into teaching. There are always a dearth of science teachers, so a degree in any of those disciplines leaves you an occupation with stability.

I started grad school (seems like a lifetime ago) to get my master's, chose biology over chemistry because it is easier. (Don't tell that to a biology professor, they get really mad) and in the process of finishing my thesis (taking a break to type this actually). I had to take several classes in advanced biology topics that I didn't have the background in, (thesis is actually on cation content in ants) but still was at the top of the classes with other biology master's students, mainly because of my chemistry back ground. (Once you have figured out P-Chem, it all seems simpler).

There is not a science discipline advanced degree program that wouldn't accept a BS/BA in chemistry. This includes medical school and pharmacy school. I recommend to my students (highschool) who want to go into medicine to major in chemistry, then if they wash out, they have a strong degree to fall back on. Grad school is much different then undergrad, you are working on some very specific areas, most of which you have to learn regardless of your BS/BA. With a degree in chemistry, you have demonstrated that you can pass when dealing with some very difficult material.

Chemistry isn't for everybody, but if you can do it, you'll never regret it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Brent Ashcraft- BS Chemistry, minors in math and biology, 1986, soon to be Masters of Natural Science in Biology with a secondary area of emphasis in Chemistry 2009.

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks for everyones input so far!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

"...but if I become a pharmacist, I know I'll be miserable"

That says it all right there. If you have seen what pharmacists do, are familiar with the profession and have determined you would be miserable then why bother studying it? Tracer's point about compromise is a good one. Life is about compromise, but the good news is, you can largely decide what those compromises will be.

Finally, with some exceptions, your undergraduate major will not affect your career choice. I only know one person who is actually working in the exact field of his major (he is an engineer). In my opinion, your undergraduate major should be something you enjoy and find interesting. You can get "career training" in graduate school or in the workplace. Most employers and grad schools want to see that you know how to think and reason - not that you can memorize an economic formula etc.

Of course there are some exceptions and some fields require prerequisite classes, but you can pick those up along the way if necessary. I would concentrate on what you enjoy because (1) you will be happier and (2) you will generally be more successful if you enjoy your work. Again, this is only my opinion and you seem like a thoughtful person, so I am sure you will do well.

Best of luck!

My mom works at Long Island University as a full professor, so I was talking to her, and she said basically the same thing, the first 4 years are basically the same anywhere you go. I guess I can always go to my mom's school (added bonus of free tuition ^_^ ), and then afterwards pursue a deeper career into vertebrate paleontology.

I just don't like medicine in general. Anyway, even if I do go into the medical field, I will essentially be a hypocrite, as I am against pharamaceutical companies profiting off of drugs in ways they shouldn't, and just in medicine altogether. I'm what you like to call "all natural" I guess.

It will be a while before you need to choose an academic specialty; in the meantime, keep your eye on the prize and take advantage of all your resources :)

Maybe you can do some volunteer work at a museum; get a practical grounding and start to build a network?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It will be a while before you need to choose an academic specialty; in the meantime, keep your eye on the prize and take advantage of all your resources :)

Maybe you can do some volunteer work at a museum; get a practical grounding and start to build a network?

I could volunteer at the AMNH museum here in New York during the summer years. Not a bad idea at all. Plus, its not that far away from me, only a few subway trains, and BAM, I'm there, lol

I could volunteer at the AMNH museum here in New York during the summer years. Not a bad idea at all. Plus, its not that far away from me, only a few subway trains, and BAM, I'm there, lol

See where this link takes you: http://www.amnh.org/join/getinvolved/volunteering/

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

if i were you, i would sit down and think...is working as a pharmacist or a paleontologist something that you can do for a career or will you get tired of it early on and quit. i graduated from high school last year and have done nothing but decided to go with the profession i have wanted to pursue for as long as i can remember. my mom was even pushing me into being a chef because it pays good. i worked in the industry for almost 3 years and did almost everything from line cook to dishwasher to even creating menus. i hated it. my mind said chef but my heart has always said paleontologist. i threw away an internship with the only master chef in texas before i realized my true calling.

your not even out of school.you have time to figure it out.but dont wait too long like i did.stuff gets harder than you can even imagine after high school if you dont go to college. remember peoples advice and heed their warnings, especially on this forum(trust methese kind folks know what they're talking about), but the decision can only be made by you.i know it may sound corny but...follow your heart

if i were you, i would sit down and think...is working as a pharmacist or a paleontologist something that you can do for a career or will you get tired of it early on and quit. i graduated from high school last year and have done nothing but decided to go with the profession i have wanted to pursue for as long as i can remember. my mom was even pushing me into being a chef because it pays good. i worked in the industry for almost 3 years and did almost everything from line cook to dishwasher to even creating menus. i hated it. my mind said chef but my heart has always said paleontologist. i threw away an internship with the only master chef in texas before i realized my true calling.

your not even out of school.you have time to figure it out.but dont wait too long like i did.stuff gets harder than you can even imagine after high school if you dont go to college. remember peoples advice and heed their warnings, especially on this forum(trust methese kind folks know what they're talking about), but the decision can only be made by you.i know it may sound corny but...follow your heart

Thanks Tinker! I know my parents are pushing me for pharmacy, but I know, because I have been to both my parents work (My mom works as a Professor and my dad is a pharmacist for Rite-Aid), and I know that I can't stand that profession. But yeah, you're absolutely right, I have to sit down and really think this through, and think of what I really want to do for the rest of my life.

I say go for a degree in geology - you'll generally be able to take paleontology classes, but you'll also take interesting classes like sedimentation/stratigraphy, and volcanology. There are plenty of other ways to go in geology that can result in very high paying jobs.

Bobby

I say go for a degree in geology - you'll generally be able to take paleontology classes, but you'll also take interesting classes like sedimentation/stratigraphy, and volcanology. There are plenty of other ways to go in geology that can result in very high paying jobs.

Bobby

Thanks for the advice! I'll go check with my mom to see if LIU has any good geology programs.