Hanging an ammonite on the wall?

aplomado

It occurred to me that the larger ammonites might look good hanging on a wall, esp in a group...

How might this be done?

Epoxy a hanger on the back? Would this be sturdy enough? What kind of epoxy?

Attach a wire armature to the back? This would not damage the fossil but it might be hard to make it look good.

Here is one I am thinking about doing:

DSCN0626_zpsffgqri5l.jpg

DSCN0627_zpsoo7nxlbt.jpg

Maybe look into a plate hanger

Tom

• I found this Informative 1

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice piece! How big is it?

Seconding the plate hanger. Be sure to hang it from a solidly-anchored nail!

Just for fun, you should try looking at it under a UV light. The rocks I have of those colors (yellow calcite) fluoresces very nicely! ;)

Edited by Mediospirifer

The plate hanger idea is perfect!

There are all sizes, even tiny ones...

My ammonite is 5.5 inches; I'll check it with a UV light, thanks for the tip.

If you're looking for the suspended in air look, plate hangers won't do it for you. Seeing as we are moving from science to art... I would take a small masonry bit and drill a hole in the back of the ammonite towards the "top". Then epoxy a small eyebolt in place. You could then hang this from a heavy duty picture hanger.

I would mount the ammonite in a shadow box, add a classy label and mount the box to the wall. A neat ink drawing or printout of a location map, info in the box on one side would make it more 'museum like'.

An ammonite (or any fossil) on its own looks more like an ornament to me. I can't stand those grey polished othocone specimens from Morocco.

Edited after reading the suggestion by Ptychodus above. Yes, don't underestimate the need to fasten securely to the wall.

Edited by Ridgehiker

If you could find a big enough Nimbus-style frame, the effect would be spectacular!

It would need to have a membrane of at least 10" X 10", though.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice piece! How big is it?

Seconding the plate hanger. Be sure to hang it from a solidly-anchored nail!

Just for fun, you should try looking at it under a UV light. The rocks I have of those colors (yellow calcite) fluoresces very nicely! ;)

which wavelength, short or long?

which wavelength, short or long?

I have a piece of carved septarian in those colors that fluoresces brightly under both. Some calcites only give a good show under shortwave UV, but most of my fossils (if they fluoresce at all) show up under both.

I'm surprised that there wasn't a reaction to the UV. While not all calcites fluoresce, I find far more that do than that don't.

I think I'm going to do a split pair of black ammonites on my wall- would look great against the white surface.

Other things might work well with the plate hangers to- small fish and ammonite slabs!