What Kind Of Raninoid Crab Is This?

micropterus101

Having a heck of a time finding any info to help me identify this darn crab all the good papers are locked up. All I can say is it was collected in the lincoln creek Formation WA state from an Eocene exposure.

102_0003.jpg

Having a heck of a time finding any info to help me identify this darn crab all the good papers are locked up. All I can say is it was collected in the lincoln creek Formation WA state from an Eocene exposure.

102_0003.jpg

Hi micropterus101, interesting species! :o

In my opinion it is not a raninidae. The rear part and the grooves of the carapace, it more resembles a albuneidae. To identify better you should see the front and the rostrum.

post-1008-1239436921_thumb.jpg

post-1008-1239436956_thumb.jpg

Hi micropterus101, interesting species! :o

In my opinion it is not a raninidae. The rear part and the grooves of the carapace, it more resembles a albuneidae. To identify better you should see the front and the rostrum.

Hi Jason,

Massimo could be right, members of the Albuneidae family are cited from Eocene pacific coast of the US, like Lophomastix antiqua from Quimper Fm. and others.

I want one :)

Guys Your Awesome! Thank you. Its really frustrating for me not to be able to figure these things out. Maybe with more experience and reading. I had no clue about Albuneidae.

Anybody have a copy of this in pdf format on there computer I could get?

Journal of Paleontology 74(4):631-635. 2000

doi: 10.1666/0022-3360(2000)074<0631:FROTGL>2.0.CO;2

FIRST REPORT OF THE GENUS LOPHOMASTIX BENEDICT, 1904 (CRUSTACEA: DECAPODA: ALBUNEIDAE) IN THE FOSSIL RECORD AND A REAPPRAISAL OF THE STATUS OF BLEPHARIPODA BRUCEI RATHBUN, 1926

Carrie E. Schweitzera and Christopher B. Boykob

Just found a copy hidden in a larger paper on the whole family. Its definetely a Lophomastix antiqua It seems from what I am reading they only have one holotype from one locality and to describe the species better they need a better example with the pereopod intact. The paper list the locality and it is about 200 miles from where I am finding them. The concretions are sandstone rather then the typical siltstone concretions i ussually collect from the lincoln creek Formation. I dont know if the quimper sandstone formation extends into the lincoln creek formation or not.

Thanks again.

Boy-o-boy micropterus! Thats purdy dang cool. By any chance do you have the opposing piece of rock? I cant tell from the photo, but it appears to be missing the shell material? If you dont have the other piece of rock and/or it is missing the shell material, you can send it to me and I will get rid of it for you... Heh,,,heh,,,

RB

With as many crabs as you've been finding and as thorough as your searches are, odds are that you will soon find a new fossil species, (if you haven't already) Thank you for sharing your finds with us on the forum and all the help you've offered to the new members such as myself.

Boy-o-boy micropterus! Thats purdy dang cool. By any chance do you have the opposing piece of rock? I cant tell from the photo, but it appears to be missing the shell material? If you dont have the other piece of rock and/or it is missing the shell material, you can send it to me and I will get rid of it for you... Heh,,,heh,,,

RB

LOL Ron,

I do have the other half of the concretion. The shell is there its just dark. The other half does have the very front of the crab. It has legs as does the second one I have. The third one I have is not as well preserved but does have a nice Carapace and is the largest. Its a shame two that busted real bad got tossed in the woods. Am I getting closer to getting one of those new zealand monsters yet or do I have to keep looking.

Cant wait to get back to my new favorite spot but looks like I will have to fight a huge Blackbear for the territory. Last Wednesday I took a walk through the deep dark woods lower in the creek for more float, i jumped down on to a sand bar and discoved numerous huge! Blackbear tracks. They were Fresh and the pads alone were over 5 inches acrossed. Kind of explains the roughed up ground and torn apart stump I passed going in. I have come accrossed bears every year while picking Mushrooms and every year they seem more agressive. I hope I dont see this big guy or gal.

ranoidcrab.jpg

anotherranoid.jpg

Guys Your Awesome! Thank you. Its really frustrating for me not to be able to figure these things out. Maybe with more experience and reading. I had no clue about Albuneidae.

micropterus1

I can't quite tell from your specimen but I think it might be Lophomastix boykoi vs L. antiqua. It was recently described in a paper Three New Species of Lophomastix From the Cenozoic of Washington. Torrey Nyborg and Francisco J. Vega in the J. of Crustacean Biology 2008

micropterus1

I can't quite tell from your specimen but I think it might be Lophomastix boykoi vs L. antiqua. It was recently described in a paper Three New Species of Lophomastix From the Cenozoic of Washington. Torrey Nyborg and Francisco J. Vega in the J. of Crustacean Biology 2008

Wow! The knowledge is coming out tonight!

Here's a link to the BioOne abstract; if you scroll down, you'll find "Line drawings of the four fossil species of Lophomastix with labeled carapace grooves: A, L. altoonaensis; B, L. kellyi; C, L. boykoi; D, L. antiqua."

Link: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1651/0278...ournalCode=crus

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

micropterus1

Its really tough they are very simular. But I think using Carrie E. Schweitzers drawing it is closer to L. antiqua. The difference may be maturity of the specimen as in some other crabs like Maeandricampus triangulum the spines get larger in the more mature specimens. Looking at the lines in the Carapace it seems closer to L. antiqua .

Lophomastixantiqua.jpg