Help-questions About Mazon Creek Nodules

jonnyquest

After they split from the freeze and thaw method should I let them dry out before opening so I don't disturb the fossil inside. I noticed after opening one, when it was wet, that it's very delicate and has a tendency to flake off. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get the best result possible.

Also,can I dip them in elmers/water solution after opening to preserve them or is there something better. Or just leave them alone. Thanks

P.S- The one nodule I opened seems to be some kind of pond reed with striations and opened after 4 freeze/thaw cycles. The others are taking longer. :blink:

Normally we don't bump threads on here. I am sorry though that no one has answered your question. I would think it would be best to dry. The main thing is you want to get the water out. Some people will tell you to soak it in alcohol.

I don't see why you couldn't use elmers and water or an clear acrylic spray to seal it in.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil

im not sure what to tell you, i know that there was a thread not to long ago on what to do but i have never done this myself so im really not sure sorry jonny q

Thanks guys. I guess there's always the learn as you go method. I'll try different things and post back.

Thanks guys. I guess there's always the learn as you go method. I'll try different things and post back.

Hello, When i got mine i did the freeze and thaw method for about 15 times then i TAPPED them gently with a hammer and some opened and some didnt. The ones that didnt when back into the freeze thaw for another 4-5 times and again I TAPPED them with a hammer and they opened. Some may take 4-5 times or some an take as many as 60 times. Just have patience and you will be reworded in the end with a perfectly split nodule with a perfect fossils inside!. Let us know what happenes and make to sure to post lots of pics.!

Jake.

I've never split a Mazon nodule, but I did have a number of them as a kid (the usual variety of common fronds); none of these had any sign of any kind of preservative. The similar siderite nodules I collected from an old strip mine near our cabin in N. PA yielded similar fossils when split, and held up just fine without any treatment other than letting them dry in the sun. (Most of these had been "popped" by 60 years of natural freeze/thaw cycles and needed only to be pulled or pried apart).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am fairly new to the forum but have been collecting Mazon Creek fossils for almost thirty years. Unfortunately, one of the downsides to freeze thawing is that concetions from certain areas (especially those collected at the original creek site) have a tendency to flake. There is little you can do to prevent this. Some collectors will only freeze thaw them a few times and then let them completely dry out. If thet do not "pop" you can repeat this step but the more you freeze thaw, the more likely that you will have flaking. Concretions from some of the strip mines tend to contain more iron and hold up much better to this technique. It takes experience and it helps to know exactly where the concretion was found. Your best bet after opening is to clean the specimen by lightly brushing it wth a soft brush and then let the specimen soak in a ten percent vinegar mix for fifteen minutes. Let the piece dry and glue any pieces that might have flaked off. I would not recommend putting any glues or coatings on the piece unless it is absolutely necessary. Hope that helps and good luck!

. . . Your best bet after opening is to clean the specimen by lightly brushing it wth a soft brush and then let the specimen soak in a ten percent vinegar mix for fifteen minutes. Let the piece dry and glue any pieces that might have flaked off.

RCFossils,

I've heard it's ok to lightly brush the fossil after the vinegar soak. Also, it's really important to rinse the vinegar off very well. Do you agree?

Thanks,

shorty

Yes, you definately want to make sure that you thoroughly rinse the specimen if you plan on cleaning the piece with vinegar.