• New Members

I have a piece of a dinosaur eggshell

Hypselosaurus priscum

Upper cretaceous period

70,000,000 years

Provence France

Do I have anything of value?

Financially? Not really.

However, nice to have a variety of fossil specimens.

What adds interest to your collection is a photo of where it is from, collection info, etc.

"To my mind the value of a fossil is the value of the imagination you invest in it." mikecable

Monetizing a fossil takes so much away from its worth...

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex. But if I had to say something, it'd probably be similar to me explaining how much all of the prep excess/dust I have is worth. Not much. Dino egg shells are undesirable to the fossil market (collectors think it's pretty cool though)

I'm a dinosaur collector and love egg material from all around the world. Eggs can be very expensive or may just not be available so the next best option is eggshells. Egg material from France is highly studied by paleontologists and are not common but you do see eggs popping up for sale every once and a while. Fragments are available and they typically sell for less than $25. Although not a lot it's a piece of our ancient history and very nice specimen to have not many collectors own one, congratulations.

By the way eggs/eggshells are sold by dealers with species name but there is no way to prove it. Hypselosaurus eggs/eggshells are called that because bones found with the eggs belong to that species. Eggs are identified by types. Your eggshell is a Megaloolithus type egg.

Edited by Troodon

I bought a similar piece of egg shell a while ago. Also Hypselosaurus/Megaloolithus from France. At the size of about 2.5cm I think I paid like 2 euros or something like that. Really cheap at any rate.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite