When should the 200th anniversary of dinosaurs be?

Gelatinous squid

In 2024, dating from when Buckland identified the Megalosaurus?

Or in 2042, dating from when Owen coined the term "dinosaur"?

• I found this Informative 1

Personally I would say 2024. Because even though it may not have been known at the time. Megalosaurus is still a Dinosaur.

On the other hand. Taking Archeopteryx as an example... The Haarlem Archaeopteryx is technically the first specimen to be found. Although at the time it was identified as a Pterodactylus. Only at a much later date was it discovered that it was an Archaeopteryx. But most of the time it's not counted as the first specimen.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Given the evidence that ancient greeks and Romans likely found dinosaur and other fossils (eventhough they had no clue what they found), maybe the 200 aniversery has long passed us by. I guess it depends on if you mean the first discovery or the verifyable historical record when someone actually knew what a dinosaur was.

Consider the occurrence of "dragon bones" in ancient China....

As far as the literal anniversary of "Dinosaur", it would have to be from when Owen coined the word, IMO.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm sure the Pre-Columbian native americans stumbled across dinosaur bones in the American west. So anniversary of what the word "dinosaur" :blush:

I think most dinosaurs passed their 200th anniversaries millions of years ago :D

Kidding aside, I think the anniversary should be 2042. 1842 was when their taxon was officially described, so it seems fitting to me.

Stephen

Hi, I think that the anniversary should be from when Palaeontology was first recognised as a science in its own right.

But hay that's just my opinion.

When you think about it fossils have been used as trinkets and curios for a long time by various nations and peoples should the anniversary be from the first recognised use of a fossil????

What about Ammonites with "snake" heads carved on to them to confirm the legend of St Hilda who cast all of the snakes in the UK into the sea and turned them to stone.

Good thread and thought provoking.

Regards

Mike

I think both events should be celebrated. Plenty of time between them and plenty of time to plan something for both!