Some Help From Texas Please.

PaleoRon

I found this ammonite several years ago on one of my typical whirlwind collecting trips. It was found between Austin and Waco along I-35. My reference collection is ammonite poor so some ID help would be great.

post-210-1239410389_thumb.jpgpost-210-1239410396_thumb.jpg

man, i hope i don't have to go look this up. where the heck's dan? he's probably out with some "research assistant" again.

Perhaps an EOPACHYDISCUS. I have some that look just like it.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Looks like some species of Engonoceras to me, most commonly found in the Walnut fm, but also ranging up through the Del Rio. They could possibly be found in the Georgetown fm which outcrops in the I-35 corridor which you mention, but what throws me is that this genus is most common in the Walnut, which outcrops well west of 35...any better data on locality? If so feel free to PM me and we can nail this down to formation pretty easily. Good specimen by the way with well defined sutures. I won't attempt to pontificate species with any sort of authority, but it could be E. stolleyi, E. pierdenale, or if it came from the Del Rio, E. serpentinum.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Ah yes...."highly credentialed" field associates....I just spoke with one today who may be coming back to TX next month for Round 2....will I do a better job of keeping both eyes on the ground this time? One can only conjecture at this juncture......Mua ha ha

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

An Engonoceras or Metengonoceras? Upper Cret? The sutures are real simple, like puzzle-pieces with no leafy edges to them unless it's heavily worn.

• New Members
I found this ammonite several years ago on one of my typical whirlwind collecting trips. It was found between Austin and Waco along I-35. My reference collection is ammonite poor so some ID help would be great.

post-210-1239410389_thumb.jpgpost-210-1239410396_thumb.jpg

It looks like a Ceratite. The suture patterns are distinctive. Amazing fossils by the way. I have never been lucky enough to find one.