Unknown Pliocene Humerus?

Pool Man

Hello all,

Here's a broken little bone that I though belonged to a bird,due to it being very lightweight and mostly hollow.But I compared it to a recent humerus that was probably from a raccon at it seems very similar. This came from the upper clay layer here in north port,so possibly later pliocene in age.I also found the mirror image of this bone, but unfoutunatly its in (many)pieces,with alot missing.

post-148-1239415782_thumb.jpgpost-148-1239415786_thumb.jpg

The larger piece is 3 1/4" long

post-148-1239415791_thumb.jpgpost-148-1239415796_thumb.jpg

Close ups

Thanks for looking!

Dan

It's the right humerus from a large member of the family Recurvirostridae (Avocets and Stilts).

This guy would have been about 25% larger than an Am. Avocet. Sorry, I cannot identify the Genus.

Great find! :wub:

(If you had both humeri in association, I have to ask: you didn't leave any more of this bird "in situ", did you? )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like Phalacrocorax.

There are similarities to Cormorant, but the ligamental furrow is so pronounced that it makes the bicipital crest and adjacent area seem like an "island". This feature is consistent with Recurvirostra.

post-423-1239476797_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!