Site Listing In Nc

sweeneyb

I would like to find out all of the fossil sites in North Carolina (or most). If you know of a site post it here I am trying to find spots because I am moving back to NC and have never dug there. (I live in Apex) Also if you have any site photos.

I would like to find out all of the fossil sites in North Carolina (or most). If you know of a site post it here I am trying to find spots because I am moving back to NC and have never dug there. (I live in Apex) Also if you have any site photos.

A starting point could be:

Fossil Collecting in North Carolina. Bulletin 89, Dept of Natural Resources and Community Development, Division of Land Resources, Geological Survey Section, Raleigh, NC.

The Martin Marrietta rock quarries sometimes open to collectors if you call ahead. Usually on Fridays when

there is no blasting. Try Rocky Point & Castle Hayne quarries for Eocene fossils (these quarries are right

next to one another off I-40). Try Richlands also for Eocene fossils (near Jacksonville). Belgrade will

have Oligocene and Miocene fossils (near Maysville, NC on 17 N of Jacksonville). Green's Mill Run in

Greenville has fossils from a wide range of ages in its gravels. Try beaches like Onslow, Emerald Isle,

and TopSail at low tide. The Aurora Fossil Museum piles are a good source especially during and right

after the Fossil Festival in late May, but the material is available year round for collecting. Triassic ferns

in clay can be found at the Boren Clay Pit in Gulf NC, but get written permission first or you will be subject

to trespassing. http://www.martinmarietta.com/products/res...amp;sortby=city

-greel

Anyone have the phone number for the Boren Clay Site? I cant find it anywhere and the number I have doesnt work.