Stinky Teeth

mrieder79

I have a batch of about 30 megs and makos that smell terrible. I forgot and left them in the soaking tub with barnacles for waaaay too long. The barnacles rotted and the teeth soaked in the rotten barnacle water for several days. I tried soaking in white vinegar to no avail. After that I let them air out for about 2 weeks but the smell is still there. Currently they are covered in baking soda. Don't know if that will work.

I thought about maybe using boiling water if the baking soda doesn't work, but I'm not sure if that would ruin the teeth.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I dont think i'd risk boiling water.

But by the same token i have no suggestions to help, sorry.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

You can make me a donation, I'll deal with the smell ;)

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Try lemons. The oils in the rind last a while and may bind with the stink helping to mask/ remove the odors.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Give 'em a good soak in a 10% bleach-to-water solution, rinse & air dry.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've used lemon juice or toothpaste to get fish smell off my hands, maybe worth a try. Either that or I'll take one for the team with Edd and you can split them between us, my display a fairly well air tight lol :P

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I would avoid the fabreze..,. that just coats them with fabreze, rather than actually getting rid of the smell. I would try leaving them out in the sun for a while... But then I am just guessing. I think the baking soda ought to work. keep us posted.

The odor is the result of bacterial action on recent organic material (barnacles, algae, etc...).

A 10% bleach soak will take care of it by killing the bacteria and sterilizing the teeth, rather than masking the odor.

• I found this Informative 6

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Since I've already used a bunch of baking soda, I'll let them sit for about week in the baking soda. If that does not work, I will try the bleach. If that does not work I am planning on finding a safe place to leave them exposed to the elements and see how that works. I am hoping the baking soda or bleach works because the idea of leaving my treasures out in the open is not appealing to me.

How long of a soak would you recommend for bleach? Are we talking minutes, hours, or days?

Edited by mrieder79

A few hours should do it, then rinse and air-dry.

Be careful with the bleach, could chemically affect the teeth. Peroxide is also strongly anti-bacterial, and less likely to react with the teeth itself (although it too is a bleaching agent).

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

You might also try soaking it in a degreaser. Oil might be the problem rather then decay. Gasoline would work.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Be careful with the bleach, could chemically affect the teeth. Peroxide is also strongly anti-bacterial, and less likely to react with the teeth itself (although it too is a bleaching agent).

Brent Ashcraft

I never saw any sign of damage, this after hundreds of cleanings of teeth and bones from the Calvert Fm.

Dilute bleach for stink, peroxide to loosen adhering clay.

I would go with Auspex's experience over my supposition. Depending on the bleach, they can be acidic, so it would be matrix dependent.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I never saw any sign of damage, this after hundreds of cleanings of teeth and bones from the Calvert Fm.

Dilute bleach for stink, peroxide to loosen adhering clay.

Would agree with Auspex re the use of bleach, having subjected hundreds of shark teeth to a "bleach soak" without the slightest hint of any deleterious results.

While we are on this subject... How can you remove the green stains from fossil bone and teeth that were exposed to the Florida warm water for years?

And DO NOT USE STRONG BLEACH SOLUTION it will damage the roots on megs! This I know to be true. I would trust the bleach for odor, and would also consider strait acetone, which is totally harmless to your teeth. I should think it would kill bacteria too???

Edited by megaholic

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

...DO NOT USE STRONG BLEACH SOLUTION it will damage the roots on megs!...

A 10% solution is not strong: 9 parts water, 1 part bleach, for a couple hours; rinse well, air dry.

Since you are a diver, you might have a bottle of SINK THE STINK wetsuit/BC/anything cleaner. It uses an enzyme to cut the really bad odors that can happen in a wetsuit during a long dive... I would bet it is safe to use on your teeth, I have seen it do magic on packed wet dive gear coming home from Australia.

MH

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

• 2 months later...

Another useful tool for killing bacteria when bleach may be too risky is freezing - I worked retail through college and learned how to keep jeans clean and remove smelly odors from sport shoes without washing them by using this method. Even worked on my old boxing gloves - freezer kills most bacteria that causes those kinds of odors. Throw them in a plastic bag let sit for a couple days.

House hold freezer works OK - if you can get it in the back where it's coldest, but a chest freezer works the best.

Side note: I'm not sure if it's safe to freeze these fossils - I'd make sure they are 100% dry, of course - but other than expanding moisture, please advise if freezing them poses more risk than bleach so I don't attempt this as sometimes I get some funky smelling things, too.

Eucalyptus oil is very good disinfectant, I don't think it would harm the teeth but others may know whether this is true. It certainly works very well in a variety of other applications.

Eucalyptus oil is very good disinfectant, I don't think it would harm the teeth but others may know whether this is true. It certainly works very well in a variety of other applications.

and it may leave the teeth with a pleasant smell! :)

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Well... I bleached them. And forgot about them... and probably didn't dilute the bleach enough. So I started out with teeth that were clearly from eastern georgia and ended up with teeth that look like they came from bakersfield! LOL.

It actually looks really neat. I don't have any light teeth from diving so it's a nice change of pace. There was no physical damage to the root or enamel, both are still intact, just lighter.

my advice to others:

MEASURE THE BLEACH. I eyeballed it and clearly made a mistake.

SET A TIMER. I got caught up with parenting and next thing I knew it was too late.