Non-fossilized shark teeth color?

DevilDog

Has anyone ever found an extant shark tooth on the beach while looking for fossil shark teeth? If so, what color was it? I ask because I found a sand shark tooth in the surf today that is a very light tan/ bone color at the root and the enamel is noticeably translucent near the tip. It looks similar in color to the teeth from Morocco but lighter in shade overall. Condition is absolutely pristine, right down to the cusplets being dangerously sharp/pointed. On this same beach I have found fossil teeth from black to chocolate brown to one G. Cuvier that is orange... I wonder if this find today is actually not fossilized rather just old and stained? I can post a pic once I figure out how...

Thanks!

DD

Fresh ones are white, with white roots. I'd call yours a fossil (even though color is no indicator of age, what you describe is within the range of variation among fossils, and it came from a fossil-bearing beach).

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Never had the luck to find a recent shark tooth on the beach (or while snorkeling or diving--and I've spent thousands of hours underwater). Still looking though.

Most of the recent shark teeth I've seen have still been in jaws in various scientific exhibits (or sadly, in some shell shops). All have been what would be described as some shade of white. I agree with Auspex that it sounds like your find is a really nice looking fossilized tooth. We'd all love to see a photo of it--hint hint. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Fresh ones are white, with white roots. I'd call yours a fossil (even though color is no indicator of age, what you describe is within the range of variation among fossils, and it came from a fossil-bearing beach).

Auspex, my fossil hemipristis serra tooth is blue but the tip and serrations are white like a modern tooth. How does that happen?

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

It's all about the minerals; what the fossils do and do not absorb, and what happens to those minerals over time. How a blue blade with white serrations can come to be is a tough question. The only difference I can think of in the affected materials is that the enamel of the blade has bone-like material behind it, and the serrations are solid enamel. It is certainly an unusual occurrence!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex, my fossil hemipristis serra tooth is blue but the tip and serrations are white like a modern tooth. How does that happen?

Would REALLY like to see a picture of that tooth!

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Would REALLY like to see a picture of that tooth!

No problem! I'll PM you some pictures :)

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Hi,

No MP ! But put them here, WE want to see it ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Photos added. Pics of the tooth in my hand are "as found". The remaining pics are after air drying for a week. The tooth feels lighter than similarly sized fossilized teeth and the texture of the root is different as well. More like that of several extant teeth I have in my collection. The color and condition are completely unlike any other teeth I have found at this location. Most finds here are well surf-worn and black or brown. In all of my shark tooth hunting on South East NC coast beaches, I have never found a fossil shark tooth this color, and not many in such pristine condition.

DD

post-17820-0-64146100-1448409629_thumb.jpg

post-17820-0-82970200-1448409647_thumb.jpg

post-17820-0-50283500-1448409661_thumb.jpg

post-17820-0-66408900-1448409692_thumb.jpg

post-17820-0-92417700-1448409717_thumb.jpg