Problem with hard matrix.

Kennyburns

Hey

I am trying to extract a fossil (ammonite) from a carbonate rock with a drill (mechanical extraction). However, it gets much harder to remove the matrix as I go further down into the rock.

I was wondering if it was any techniques, one could use to soften the matrix. I have been thinking about doing acid treatment in the form of acetic acid explained in (Green 2001).

I also heard about a technique called something like ultrasonic (Not sure if the I remember the name correctly). This is a machine that we have at my university. The sample is supposed to be laid in water and the machine then bombard the rock somehow...

Do you people have any tips?

Here is an image of my ammonite. As you can see it is quit buried.

http://tinypic.com/r/2gwceva/9

Edited by Kennyburns

post-423-0-41213500-1448284683_thumb.jpg

You are using a "drill"? As in electric drill with masonry bit?

Keep the bit sharp, and employ infinite patience. A pneumatic scribe would be the best tool, but you have to use what you got. Acid is indiscriminate, as are ultrasonic energy; mechanical extraction is best in this case.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No, Administrator. I'm using bits that are specific for extracting fossils. Thanks for the replay!

Good; keep them at peek sharpness nonetheless :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with JP and Auspex on the pneumatic airscribe. It also looks like you may only have a partial ammonite there, but you will only know for certain once you've removed some more matrix.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Unfortunately I do not have access to an airscribe at my university. I have only access to a drill with plenty of different angels and surfaces, tons of different acids and the ultrasonic energy.

Btw this is my first try on extracting a fossil from a rock using mechanical extraction method. Before this I have only tried to dissolve carbonate rocks that contained fossils with HCl and acetic acid.

Edited by Kennyburns

• 4 weeks later...

First, address your preparation thinking "I'm removing matrix from the fossil". Removing the fossil from the matrix almost guarantees significant damage to the specimen. It's all in how you look at the situation.

Second, I agree with JPC. A hammer and chisel will work much better than the drill.

Third, get a different ammonite. I think Roger is right that you have a partial ammonite.

• I found this Informative 1