A Friend Purchased This Trilo...

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

A friend bought this from a rock shop in the UK, it is an odd looking bug perhaps someone can give an id?

post-163-1239803787_thumb.jpg

post-163-1239803793_thumb.jpg

Edit: It was id'ed by the dealer as Metacanthina, I think it may be incorrect.

I am looking at this and the discoloration in the matrix close to the animal suggests that this might be a composite piece.

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest Nicholas
I am looking at this and the discoloration in the matrix close to the animal suggests that this might be a composite piece.

I'm afraid of that as well that's why I thought it best to post here about it. See what the majority thinks.

I vouch for "composite".

You can see artificial parts in both the cephalon and the pygidium, in addition to which you can also see a big separation of two matrixes in the middle of the thorax.

Metacanthina would probably be as close as you could get to identifying this fossil, as it is as we say F.U.B.A.R...

kind regards,

Mark.

It's from the Fubar Province in Morocco :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's from the Fubar Province in Morocco :P

yes, i believe it to be some species of Fubarus. ;)

( but seriously... for anyone that doesn't already know, there is actually a fossil fish called Fubarichthys...

so named because it's skull is often preserved in a state beyond recognition. )

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

And here I was thinking it was a typical Moroccan Fakeops.

Excellent :D:D:D

This is a Hollardops (probably mesocristata) from the Devonian of Morocco - or a facsimile thereof. This genus used to be called Metacanthina. These trilobites are very easy to prepare as the rock is slightly softer than what normally surrounds other Moroccan bugs so to have one this poorly done wouldn't be a good indication that it is 100% real. I have attached a couple of pictures of one that I collected myself south of Foum Zguid in Morocco and prepared using air abrasive. Note the eyes- these trilobites have great detail.

post-1294-1239847658_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1239847685_thumb.jpg

And here I was thinking it was a typical Moroccan Fakeops.

heh heh heh... great!! :D

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

A friend bought this from a rock shop in the UK, it is an odd looking bug perhaps someone can give an id?

"A friend bought this" ;) Its ok Nicholas at first it looked real to me too. So how much did you pay for this thing?

post-163-1239803787_thumb.jpg

post-163-1239803793_thumb.jpg

That poor Trilo looks in bad shape .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

^Yeah, the imperfection is one reason to think it might be mostly genuine.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

^Yeah, the imperfection is one reason to think it might be mostly genuine.

I've thought that too. I've given him the ... EDIT: deleted.. guide and he is going to test some stuff himself. I feel bad because this was his first trilobite, and he was so excited over it.. It is still the perfect piece to him.

Looks to me like its two peices of the same species of trilo put together and then put onto a piece of limestone.

RB

Are the number of segments in the thorax correct ?

To few for that species ?

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !