Predation holes?

Guguita2104

I found this brachs (rynchonellids and terebratulids) in Toarcian layers...They are very common there, bute these have strange holes on their shell...I supect they were made for predators, such as carnivore gastropods.However , in the same region I just can find filtrator ones, as turritelids.

Can someone explain me this?

Regards,

Guguita

post-18967-0-27348900-1449270212_thumb.jpg

Those are interesting.

I've collected literally tens of thousands of brachiopods from hundreds of locales over the decades. I have only ever found a half dozen with drill holes. The more common pathology is healed shells from some type of bite.

For a variety of reasons, many species of Gastropoda, etc. can be common in an ecosystem but don't become fossilized. The absence in the fossil record doesn't mean they weren't present.

Most species of terabratulids had (and have today) very thin shells. Not all that strong. They wouldn't have offered much protection against predation. Worms can also drill holes but the single clean boring on each shell indicates a Gastropod.

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks for all the info! So , you are saying mine were eaten for a gastropod, isn't it?

However I repaired that my third one (rynchonella) have two holes...Is this an indicator of worms presence or could also be a gastropod evidence?

Regards,

Guguita