Last Weekend

bone digger

Grampa Dino and I went out last weekend and found some stuff. Bits of dino I guess! Couple small teeth! and some thing that looks like a claw! and something with a lot of teeth in it that I'm still waiting to get a better picture of!

Nice finds, Where did you go? What age are the sediments?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Spring is here!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, I'm slowly getting back into this after a very long winter! It's kinda like coming out of hibernation! Here is a couple close up pics from the other week. The first is a hadrosaur jaw that has all the teeth, it is about 10" long. I still have to do a bunch more work on it to get all the sand off but WOOOOOHOOOOO, what a way to start off the year! Following that is a beaut of a therapod tooth about 2" long and finally a therapod claw, the best I have ever found (right to the tippy tip) and it is 2 1/4" long. I've done a couple more trips since this one so I'm a little behind but I will try and get pics up soon. Oh ya, the wife came down on this trip and wanted to try a little geocaching so we brought along the GPS coordinates for an old quarry site to try and find. The one we were after was quarry #25 and was excavated by Levi Sternberg in 1920 or 1926. I think it was a partial Chasmosaurus that was found there. Anyways while I had my nose to the ground in search of fossils she took off on the hunt for the quarry stake. After a while she came back saying she'd found it, turns out I had walked within 10 feet of it and had even picked up a partial ceratopsian jaw not 30 feet from the quarry. Attached is a pic of the stake, unfortunately it's a little blury. I find it very cool to be able to read books about the Sternbergs, Barnum Brown, and other collectors and then be able to go out in the field and find the exact spots they excavated dinosaurs soooooo many years ago, sure brings history to life!!!

amazing. it's hard to imagine how cool it would be to live somewhere where such finds are possible. thanks for the photos.

Fantabulous Finds!

And an especially good story :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

thanks guys, I'll try and get some good pics of the really small therapod teeth I've found on the last few trips and also some more of the quarry markers from the same area.

Man that tooth is just too cool of a find.

Great preservation on the enamel.

Hope you find the rest of that beast.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Man I sure wish I could hunt in a dino area and then keep what I found

(as long as it wasn't of much use to science of course). Nice finds Bone Digger!! Keep posting them.

Here is my days finds from last weekend when Grampa Dino and I went fossiling. I found four little tiny therapod teeth and two around 1 1/2". Also a nice size Ankylosaur scute in good shape. It's only my second scute that size, they always seen to be broken beyond hope. You would think armour would be a little stronger lol! These are all late Cretaceous, approx 75 mya. Some of the pics suck but you get the idea!

all the fossil from last trip

Troodon tooth 3/16"

rooted croc tooth (from a couple trips ago) 1/2"

Troodon tooth 3/8"

Saurornitholestes or Dromaeosaurus tooth? 1/2"

same as above! 5/16"

killing claw pedal phalanx (claw was found last year)

Ankylosaur armour scute (top view)

Ankylosaur armour scute (side view)

edited and added sizes of teeth!

I can't get over the fact that you're walking around in a beautiful place picking up dinosaur pieces!

Do either of these little teeth have a figure-eight cross-section at the root? (Guess why I'm asking :))

post-423-1240530831_thumb.jpg

thanks guys! I didn't notice till I posted the pics but it looks like my Troodon teeth need some flossing lol.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I just looked at this post again. Why do you post these pictures!! Do you want me to cry all the time!! What you do and find is what I dream of doing and finding.

I just looked at this post again. Why do you post these pictures!! Do you want me to cry all the time!! What you do and find is what I dream of doing and finding.

Thanks Del, glad you like them! It really is a thrill to be able to find these things. One of my dreams would be to find a nice megalodon tooth.

Those are so dang cool!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I don't know what is better,

You finding that sort of stuff

or the look on your face

when you first discover it :o