Babs2385

judging from the size I would say it is Grewingkia

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'm confused by the Grewingkia comments. You can't ID solitary rugosans without seeing the calyx features or (better yet) transverse and longitudinal thin sections. Grewingkia would be a reasonable guess if you knew for sure that the specimen came from one of the Cincinnatti area Upper Ordovician formations, but only because Grewingkia canadensis is the only large solitary rugosan in those formations. I haven't seen any mention of the actual collecting locality or age.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Hey, FossilDAWG. Thanks for reminding me why I made this thin section 50 years ago - more or less. I don't know the genus/species of it.

post-11620-0-67761800-1449785407_thumb.jpg

the size and the color, to me, limits it to the Ord - Dev. The growth lines resemble Grewingkia more than any other horn coral I am familiar with. Just based on my experience with the Paleozoic horn corals , of which I have hundreds from the Ord to Penn. that is what it appears to be, to me.IMHO

post-2520-0-68187100-1449799650_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks