How to show detail in weathered fossils

LakeErieLady

I find a lot of these black rocks with crinoid sections on them. Locally they are called "Starry Night" stones. When they are wet the are beautiful, and the crinoids segments stand out in stunning detail. But when the rocks are dry, they are dull and easy to overlook.

Is there a way to prepare them so the detail shows?post-20283-0-36002500-1450748095_thumb.jpgpost-20283-0-05703300-1450748125_thumb.jpg

Try beeswax. If that does not do it, it can be removed and you can try a clear spray lacquer (not easily reversed).

They are quite beautiful wet!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Believe it or not, try pledge floor wax with future shine. Straight for a wet look and diluted for a little shine.

It can easily be removed with hot water and a tooth brush

post-16815-0-74450800-1450751241_thumb.jpg

Those stones are soft enough to polish with wet/dry sand paper if you want them permanently shiny. Start with something like a 200 grit then go to a finer grit until you are happy with the degree of polish.

Warm beeswax would be quicker though.

If you have pounds of them to polish you might want to get a cheap tumbler.

I was thinking tumbler also. Home depot has them very reasonable to polish them up, if the other ideas aren't what you want. :fistbump: