Is This A Partial Croc Tooth?

barefootgirl

Okay, so I went out to hunt before the rain set in and I loaded up on shells and the other usual stuff. However, I found both of these interesting little things along the way. I thought one was just a baculite when I first picked it up, but when I got it home and washed it up, I realized it had a beautiful enamel on it. The second item I thought was just shell or something but when i washed it I saw that it had looks of a bone. Yall tell me what you think it could be.

post-1082-1240006822_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240005682_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240005717_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240005760_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240005841_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240006588_thumb.jpg

The second pick up above is the backside of the fossil.

Sorry about the algae on it but I didnt want to scrub to hard and damage it.

post-1082-1240006648_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240006693_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240006759_thumb.jpg

This is just a pict of the big clam shell cierra plays in when we go hunt. It used to be twice this big but mother nature is taking it toll on it.post-1082-1240005553_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Might be a Mosasaur tooth. I have a few teeth that look sorta like that.

Im probably wrong, but u never know

EDIT: Bad pic, but heres one that the color looks like

post-221-1240009144_thumb.jpg

Here is one for comparison from last Tuesday.It looks similar!

post-417-1240009412_thumb.jpg

I don't know why ,but the eighth pic down looks familiar with that channel running through it.Tusk section??

Here is one for comparison from last Tuesday.It looks similar!

post-417-1240009412_thumb.jpg

I don't know why ,but the eighth pic down looks familiar with that channel running through it.Tusk section??

Man, I gots to go where you 2 are hunting. Its been prob 2 years or more since I have found a decent Mos tooth

I didnt find mine in the sulphur. I found it in a ditch! No joke.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Now that i see some picts of Mos teeth I agree thats what I have. Thanks guys! Bye the way the bone is petrified. Ill post more picts of what I found when I get everything cleaned up. Im having a hard time getting the clay off of everything.

Alfred North Whithead

Hey barefootgirl,

Could you shoot a few pics of the ends of the tooth. From what I see in the current pics, it doesn't strike me as being mosasaur...maybe fish (X?). That's a wicked Inoceramus clam.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey barefootgirl,

Could you shoot a few pics of the ends of the tooth. From what I see in the current pics, it doesn't strike me as being mosasaur...maybe fish (X?). That's a wicked Inoceramus clam.

post-1082-1240019870_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240019935_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Me and my daughter love that clam. The birds do to! I wish I could save it. Its right at the top of a small waterfall and is being washed away slowly but surely.

Alfred North Whithead

Well, I still think the jury is out...it seems a bit narrow and smooth for a mosasaur, but I may be wrong. You might check out some plesiosaur teeth to rule that out. Regardless, it is a cool find. ;)

Maybe Chasmatosaurus? Who Knows :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Well, I still think the jury is out...it seems a bit narrow and smooth for a mosasaur, but I may be wrong. You might check out some plesiosaur teeth to rule that out. Regardless, it is a cool find. ;)

Nobody told me this was a jury trial! I dont even have a lawyer. :o

Alfred North Whithead

I think the bone is a section of turtle shell. The bump is where the rib would attach.

<singing> "the rib bone's connected to the...bump bone"

i like it.

i agree with johnj as a matter of principle.

the tooth is quite certainly from a B.T.M.R.O.T.M., which is scientistese for a common and familiar type of exclusion-based non-classification. the acronym stands for "broken-toothed marine reptile other than mosasaur".

i believe it's from one of those sycophantic, groveling suckup little reptiles whose false-flattering methods of social interaction have been lost to the ages - the pleasemeosaurs.

Okay, so I went out to hunt before the rain set in and I loaded up on shells and the other usual stuff. However, I found both of these interesting little things along the way. I thought one was just a baculite when I first picked it up, but when I got it home and washed it up, I realized it had a beautiful enamel on it. The second item I thought was just shell or something but when i washed it I saw that it had looks of a bone. Yall tell me what you think it could be.

post-1082-1240006822_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240005682_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240005717_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240005760_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240005841_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240006588_thumb.jpg

The second pick up above is the backside of the fossil.

Sorry about the algae on it but I didnt want to scrub to hard and damage it.

post-1082-1240006648_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1240006693_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240006759_thumb.jpg

This is just a pict of the big clam shell cierra plays in when we go hunt. It used to be twice this big but mother nature is taking it toll on it.post-1082-1240005553_thumb.jpg

I'll probably put my foot in it, but it looks like "X" fish to me. Here is a photo of some of mine.

Mike

post-15-1240054817_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Nobody told me this was a jury trial! I dont even have a lawyer. :o

Not you. You see there is a small group of me, myself, I, and others in my head and they are off in another room trying to figure out if they've seen what you found, or know what it is.... They're not back yet with a decision, but I can occasionally hear what they're saying through the door.

(cupping my hands over my mouth and nose and speaking with a low voice) The tracer is strong with this one!

I'll probably put my foot in it, but it looks like "X" fish to me. Here is a photo of some of mine.

Mike

Im sorry to hear it, foot in tooth disorder is the first symptom of foot in mouth disease. Although, I do believe they have a shot for that now. Well, Im off to consult with JohnJ's jury of trifectum madness and see if I cant force a decision. :D

Alfred North Whithead

Here is a Xiphactinus tooth from Mansfield Tx that I collected.I made the mistake of letting some kids handle it and it broke into many pieces.Thank goodness for super glue! Is the jury still out on BFG's tooth.

post-417-1240071977_thumb.jpgpost-417-1240071990_thumb.jpg

i will have to consider the x-factor, but please(meosaur) point it out. actually, to me the x-factor basically means the animal preferred linux or unix as its operating system. (was that too arcane?) but anyway, since we're "crossing the streams" (the bars of the "X"), maybe the tooth came from whatever that toe-bone on the other thread came from? maybe a pleasemeosaurnewcabra?

don't try to figure this stuff out. just be glad your brain doesn't work this way...

p.s. - i saw the jury getting in a hummer limo outside. i don't think they're coming back.

I didnt find mine in the sulphur. I found it in a ditch! No joke.

should i ask what you were doing in a ditch? or is that too personal? usually when people are in ditches around here, they're wrapped in a piece of old carpet and are at ambient temperature.

Here is a Xiphactinus tooth from Mansfield Tx that I collected.I made the mistake of letting some kids handle it and it broke into many pieces.Thank goodness for super glue! Is the jury still out on BFG's tooth.

post-417-1240071977_thumb.jpgpost-417-1240071990_thumb.jpg

Does that tooth have a ridge on one side or both? Mine has a ridge on one just one side.

If just one side you might just be xiphactly right.

Alfred North Whithead