Carboniferous Shales From Northern France

docdutronc

I found these strange circular shapes in a Carboniferous shale from northern France, they are of different sizes and range from 5 mm to 10 mm, I need help identifying these strange bodies that are associated with freshwater bivalvia : anthraconauta minima ,thank 's

bruno

post-967-1240075399_thumb.jpg

post-967-1240075436_thumb.jpg

Bruno, I think that you may have found an important fossil!

I have never seen anything just like it; my guess is that it is a soft-bodied animal, perhaps a cnidarian or a worm of some sort. I will continue to search for anything known that is remotely similar.

Could the site have been lagunal or occasionally brackish? A periodic influx of salt water could have briefly introduced some planktonic marine organisms also.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bruno, I think that you may have found an important fossil!

I have never seen anything just like it; my guess is that it is a soft-bodied animal, perhaps a cnidarian or a worm of some sort. I will continue to search for anything known that is remotely similar.

Could the site have been lagunal or occasionally brackish? A periodic influx of salt water could have briefly introduced some planktonic marine organisms also.

Hi Auspex

not BRACKISH, there was no arrival of salt water is a pure "liminique" basin , there are small bivalves on the same shale, there is today cnidarians

craspedacusta, a small freshwater meduse ...., it is medusoids like body....

I agree that it appears to be some type of medusa. Very unusaul to see something like that preserved in a shale deposit. I am aware of one undescribed jellyfish that was collected in the Mecca Shale of Illinois. Congratulations on a nice find!

Do you have more pictures of examples?

At the moment I'm leaning towards mineralogical/geological process rather than fossil. Something diagenetic or concretionary. Mainly the areas that look like arms look more like natural radial cracking.

-YvW

Do you have more pictures of examples?

At the moment I'm leaning towards mineralogical/geological process rather than fossil. Something diagenetic or concretionary. Mainly the areas that look like arms look more like natural radial cracking.

-YvW

I agree that the parting plane of the shale has introduced it's texture; I don't interpret them as "arms".

The radial symmetry within the "donut" is very interesting, though, especially the "ripple" that I've marked:

post-423-1240109404_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!